~Wild Run~

"This way," Kinai said, grabbing his sister's wrist and running from the room. Maevus was hot on their heels, struggling to feed enough magic to Veena to allow the dragon entry to her world.

She was scraping at the bottom of her reserves after the days spent keeping Koret tethered to their world, followed by the magic she had used with Lox and Medella. One night of solid sleep and a single decent meal hadn't been enough to totally replenish her well. She didn't know if she had enough magic left to keep Veena in this world at any size, much less the size they would need to be carried safely away.

Lox was scrabbling at a narrow door at the end of the hall. Before they could reach him, there was a splintering crack. The door exploded as Lox broke through it. He turned and bounded back down the hall. Kinai and Korie flattened themselves against the wall as he returned to Maevus. The dragon used his tail to push Maevus toward the stairs before he turned and let out a challenging roar.

The sound of boots on the stairs slowed a little.

Maevus used Lox's distraction to her advantage, hauling back on his string. The dragon gave a strangled yelp, spewing a startled burst of flame before he winked out of this world. The sudden slack on her magic nearly made Maevus stumble. Breathing hard, she lifted her hands then lowered them, extinguishing the flames trying to eat at the carpet and a few paintings.

"Come on, Maevus," Korie yelled. 

The first city guards were spilling into the hallway. One spotted Maevus, her eyes widening before she lifted a pistol, pointing it at Maevus. "Halt!" she ordered, her voice breaking.

Maevus spun on her heel and sprinted down the hall. She grabbed what remained of the door frame, splinters jamming into her palm as she skidded around the corner, pounding up the stairs. Daylight spilled down toward her, the cool morning air filling her lungs.

Sweat streamed into her eyes as she tapped back into her well of magic. Lox's string tightened painfully as he clamored to return. Maevus hissed, pushing against him at the same time she pulled at Veena.

The dragon clawed her way through the veil between their worlds. She appeared in a puff of violet smoke, the size of a kitten as she sank her claws into Maevus' shoulder. Maevus burst onto the roof, looking around wildly. They were on a balcony set into the steeply pitched roof. Kinai and Korie were leaning over the scrolled-iron banister, peering down at the three-story drop.

They whirled as she slammed the door shut behind her. There was no way to lock it. Maevus swore under her breath before darting to where the others stood.

"Are we supposed to jump?" Kinai asked. A tomahawk was held ready in his left hand, its twin sitting in a sheath at his thigh.

"Sorta," Maevus said through gritted teeth, trying to pump magic toward Veena. It moved sluggishly—magic was harder to manipulate when there was less of it, like water moving through a system without any pressure gradient. "Try to keep the door shut, but be careful. At least one of them has a firearm."

"Beautiful," Kinai grunted, bracing his shoulder against the door.

Maevus reached up and plucked Veena from her perch, setting the hissing dragon on the iron railing. She hovered her hands over Veena, focused on pushing her magic through her fingers. Her breath became more ragged, but Veena began to grow. Her snake-like body lengthened, coiling around the railing. She flapped her wings to keep her balance as she continued to grow.

A dull thud behind her announced the arrival of the guards on the other side of the door.

"Korie," Kinai said, his voice remarkably calm. "A little help?"