|38| Interruption

"And why did you have to let her do all those sports?" your mother ask her husband in a complaining way as they walk to a restaurant to eat together, "She's a woman. She should only be focusing on her studies and growing up to be a lady, not a man. She's hurting herself with all these sports," your mother adds which made your father roll his eyes with a smile as he has already heard it before.

"Yes, yes," your father says as he and his wife walk in the restaurant, "Hi, I made reservations under the name of (Your Last Name) Chen," your father says to a waiter. He looks at the liste of names and finds it.

"Ah, yes. Please follow me," he says and your parents follow him to a seating area by the window with a view as your mother loves the views. "Here are the menus. Please take your time," he says and then leaves.

Your mother takes the menu and start looking through it as did your father, "You do know that (Name) is girl and not boy, right?" your mother ask him as she puts the menu down.

"The last time I checked was when I changed her diapers. So if everything is still in it's place then yes, I know she's a girl unless she's confused on how she wants to identify herself--"

"(Your Father's Name). Enough with the sarcasm. Now I see where (Name) gets her sarcasm from," your mother says with a sigh, "(Your Father's Name), (Name) is eighteen now. She's smart, responsible, talented, beautiful. She's my little girl no matter how old she gets and I don't want to see her coming home injured because of sports. Volleyball is fine but soccer and all the others, it's way too much," your mother tells him.

"(Name) has asked permission to play those sports before joining," your father tells her as he sets down the menu as well. "Why are you so worried?" he ask.

"Because (Name) is a woman and not a man yet you are raising her as one. You're going to give her ideas that life will be easy but it's not. It won't be for her because she's a woman. Sports won't get her anywhere either. She's coming home with bruises and let's not forget that we live in the U.S. and life is not easy there for a woman. Especially a woman who's asian. She's different from the others and and if she wants to get somewhere, she needs an education," your mother tells him and your father nods because your mother wasn't wrong.

"Mark wants to be an architect," your mother reminds him, "Jia-Li wants to work in the fashion industry or model which is going well for her now but I am worried because Jia-Li can get harassed by workers. Mark will be okay but (Name)... She doesn't even know what she wants to do yet," your mother says because every time they have asked you about your future, it's alway I don't know.

"(Your Mother's Name), remember when you had to go to China to prove to the U.S that you were good enough to play the piano?" your father ask and she nods, "After you won, at a young age too, you went back to the States where they begged you to compete and represent them?" your father ask and your mother nods once again, "And so you did and won. You worked hard to earn the title you have," he reminds her but your mother doesn't understand where he's going with this. All she knows is the trouble she had to g through to get where she is and she doesn't want her kids to go through the same thing.

"Yes, but it wasn't easy because I was a woman and an asian-- Chinese even. They choose a woman, a blond, white woman over me and another man because I was a woman, a Chinese Woman and the man was a coloured man," your mother tells him, "I had to go somewhere where it won't be so sexist but as my life is in the U.S, I had to go back and I represented them and won. I made them regret judging me and ignoring me," your mother reminds him.

"And you did. You did," your father says, not disagreeing with his wife, "But (Name) is doing that as well. She knows that being a woman in society isn't easy. She strong and brave. She's talented and knows how to fight her battles. (Name) may be born as a woman but she knows how to deal with a man. You have remember that she's also your daughter and she has your energy but you know what she loves?" your father ask which made your mother wonder what until your father smiles, "She loves proving people wrong," he says which made your mother smiles as it's true.