When The Truth Comes Out

Words: 713

Words: 713

Pairing: Steve Rogers x Reader

Featuring: Best Friend!Tony Stark 

Summary: It's the morning of Reader and Steve's wedding just before the big event is about to take place, Tony Stark stops in for a word with the bride. 

"Okay, so tell me, is it everything you ever wanted?" You'd been in your dressing room, pinning the last lock of hair into place when Tony let himself in

"Okay, so tell me, is it everything you ever wanted?" You'd been in your dressing room, pinning the last lock of hair into place when Tony let himself in. You turned away from the full length mirror with a smile.

"Tony it's perfect." You promised. "I can't thank you enough for everything you did for Steve and me. The flowers, the decorations, the food...this dress!" You exclaimed, excitedly tugging at the endless layers of tulle. "Today I'm the luckiest girl in the world. What did I ever do to deserve you, Tony Stark?"

"It's not luck, [Y/N]." Tony said very seriously. "It's love. From the day I first met you in Fury's office. There was something about the way you carried yourself, the way you didn't give a damn what anyone else thought about you. I knew there'd never be another person in my life quite like you." You felt your cheeks go flush in embarrassment as Tony continued. "Then there was that time we went to Greece, you jumped out of that plane not even knowing if I would catch you in time."

"But you did." You remembered. "You always do. You're always seem to know exactly what I need."

"Like how I knew you and Rogers were the real deal?" He waved you over and pulled you into a tight hug. "I used to think I was in love with you, you know." He edged a half-step backwards so that he could get a good look at you. "I used to get jealous every time you'd giggle at something Rogers said, or when you'd brush snow off his jacket and how you were always taking care of him. Then I realized that was true love. That was the kind of fairytale ending we all aspire to. I realized that if I truly loved you, I would have to find another way to be in your life. I couldn't keep you from your fairytale ending. So, I became your best friend, your brother. It was the best decision I ever could have made for the three of us."

"All this time...you never told me." You watched his warm brown eyes, wanting an explanation.

"I didn't want you to doubt for a second that Rogers was the one." Tony raised one of your hands and plated a firm kiss on the back of it. "Think of this wedding as an apology. For all the times, however brief they were, that I hoped the two of you didn't work."

"Apology not necessary." You insisted. "You've proven your loyalty to me and Steve a hundred times over. Why don't you see how he and Bucky are doing, then hurry back here. There's no one else I'd want to have walk me down the aisle on the day that I become Mrs. Steven Grant Rogers."

"I'll check on Prince Charming and be back in a flash." He promised with a wink. Tony left and closed the door to your room. He was surprised when he saw someone standing in to hallway dangerously close to your doorway.

"How much of that did you hear, Rogers?" He asked the man of the hour.

"Enough to know that you're a better man than I ever gave you credit for." Steve answered back. "You've been a great friend to [Y/N] and to me, Tony."

"Yeah well, let's not hold hands and sing kumbaya just yet." Tony smirked. "I'm walking her down the aisle, and she's got no other family. That means that I get to give the father to son-in-law speech." His smile faded, and he became uncharacteristically serious. "You mean the world to that girl, Steve. Now, I'm gonna be rooting for the two of you harder than anyone else. I will be your number one fan, but that girl means the world to me too. And you can bet your star-spangled-ass that if you ever do anything to hurt our girl I will become your worst enemy."

"Understood Tony." Steve nodded. He extended a hand out to Tony, offering a shake. Tony took him up on the offer, grasping the Captain's hand in a firm grip.

"Alright, go get robocop in there and we'll get the show on the road." Tony's smirk returned to his face once again.