I Don't Like Bullies

Words: 994

Words: 994

Pairing: Steve Rogers x Reader

Prompt: "What am I supposed to say, Jesus?"

"I'm sorry, I need you to run through this with me one more time because I can't seem to wrap my head around it

"I'm sorry, I need you to run through this with me one more time because I can't seem to wrap my head around it." You apologized to Steve as you combed through your hair with a frustrated hand. Being the civilian girlfriend of an Avenger meant that half the time you didn't understand what he was talking about when it came to his work. This made him well acquainted with repeating himself, but something about this particular situation had him extremely fired up. You sat on the couch in your living room and watching him pace in frustration.

"Okay so Tony called everyone in for a meeting, and Secretary Ross was there?" You did your best to explain what you understood of the situation. "He cited the incidents in New York, Washington DC and Sokvia as reasons why the Avengers are dangerous?"

"Yes!" Steve exclaimed in frustration. It was clear to you that he was upset about the situation at hand and not your attempts to understand it. "He said that we operate with unlimited power and no supervision! Then he slapped this six-inch stack of paper on the table and told us a hundred and seventeen countries had already signed it. These countries want to form a panel, a panel of civilians and politicians I assume, and that panel will decide whether or not the Avengers are allowed to intervene in a situation. I mean it's...it's ridiculous!"

"I don't understand." You apologized again, noticing he had stopped pacing for the first time in forty minutes. "How can they do something like that? You're not exactly unsupervised. The Avengers were formed under SHIELD and even though that department was disbanded, you must still have some sort of government protection."

"But that's the problem." Steve sighed. "Our government is one of the countries that thinks we're a danger. After what happened with Wanda in Lagos..."

"That's hardly her fault!" You huffed.

"I'm afraid people don't see it that way." Steve frowned, he sat next to you and looked in your eyes seriously. "Apparently Wakanda is taking it particularly personal. They're a mostly peaceful nation who had volunteers working in Lagos. Their king, T'chaka, is determined to make sure something like that doesn't happen again."

"But there's no guarantee that something like that wont happen! Even if you guys hadn't been there, Even if Wanda hadn't...."

"I know." Steve interrupted you, shaking his head solemnly. "I know."

"So did Ross say what happens if you don't sign?" You placed a comforting hand on Steve's knee. "I mean if you are all united and you don't agree they'll have to come up with a fair compromise, right?"

"Well, that's where the problem lies." Steve draped one arm on the back of the couch, trying to force himself to remain casual and calm about the situation. "We're at an almost even split on it. Tony's got half the team convinced that this is right move."

"Tony wants to do something that the government is telling him he has to?" Now it was your turn to shake your head. You'd been with Steve since the beginning of the Avengers and had never imagined a future where Tony -Playboy-Stark blindly followed the law and Steve-Boy Scout-Rogers was the first to question it. The times sure were changing.

"Tony told Ross we'd talk it over, but the Secretary made the ground rules clear." Steve said. "We sign up or we hang up our suits."

"So, what are you going to do?" You questioned, knowing your words would hang unanswered in the air for awhile. As the time passed, you tried to arrange your own swimming thoughts.

"If I don't sign this..." Steve said finally. "I'd have to go on the run. I'd have to leave you here. Leave you unprotected or worse drag you along with me. That's not fair to you. That's not the sort of life you should be forced into."

"So, what? You're just going to sign this thing, go along with everyone else because of me?" You leaped to your feet, perhaps more dramatic than the situation called for, but you needed to get his attention. You needed him to understand you weren't going to be the reason he backed himself into a corner. "Because you're afraid of what will happen? Steve in all the time that I've know you, you've never sacrificed your beliefs for anyone or anything. Why start now?"

"What am I supposed to say, [Y/N]?" He buried his face in both of his hands and mumbled through his palms. "Jesus, there's not right answer to this. No matter what I do or say going forward, someone get's hurt."

"Hey, look at me." You gently pulled his hands away from his face and held them. "I can't tell the story as good as you do, but remember what you told Dr. Erskine the day he met you? He asked if you wanted to kill Nazis, but you being the man that you are, you looked him dead in the face and you said..."

"I said I don't like bullies." Steve recalled. "I don't care where they come from."

"Well, then I think you know what you have to do, Darling." You kissed him on the cheek. "No matter what you decide Steve Rogers, you'll always be a hero to me. And if we're skipping town, let me know, because I have been dying to quit my job."

"Oh, well I'm glad my tragedy can be of some help to you." He pulled you down onto his lap and held you close. You rested your head on his chest and just listened to him breathing. He began to gently stroke your hair as his thoughts turned to the future.

"I'd be lost without you, [Y/N]." He whispered.

"Would you ever." You yawned before nestling deeper into his body.