Missed Connections

Words: 1912

Words: 1912

Pairing: Steve Rogers X Reader

Prompt: "Dread it. Run from it. Destiny arrives all the same." 

The first time you bumped into Steve Rogers you did just that, bumped into him

The first time you bumped into Steve Rogers you did just that, bumped into him. You were carrying an overflowing basket of laundry to the basement of your apartment building, so that it could be washed. When out of nowhere someone else came charging up the stairs. The two of you collided causing the basket to fall and your clothing to tumble downward. You would have rolled down the stairs yourself if a strong pair of hands hadn't braced your fall.

"I'm so sorry ma'am." The owner of the hands apologized immediately. Bewildered, you looked upwards at your attacker. He was not what you expected at all. Standing probably six feet tall and decorated in muscles the man looked down at you with his ice blue eyes. His eyebrows were drawn together with concern. "Are you alright? I didn't hurt you, did I?"

"No." You groaned at last. "Not unless you count my dignity." You added, looking at your dirty shirts, socks and underwear that had been spilled down the flights below. The man followed your gaze and his cheeks flushed.

"I'm so sorry!" He apologized. "Here let me help you." He jogged down and collected your now empty laundry basket. He started collecting safe items like pants or shirts and tossing them into the basket.

"No, no." You began gathering any clothing items near you, working your way towards the stranger. "I'll get them, just hold the basket." He stopped reaching for a nearby pair of shorts at your order and instead held the basket out to you.

"What were you doing running up the steps anyway?" You demanded.

"Cardio." He admitted, almost embarrassed.

"Ever heard of the gym?" You huffed.

"Yes ma'am. Problem is I'm new to the area. I just moved in last week. Third floor." He explained pointing up the stairs.

"That's no good." You shook your head. "I live on the third floor." By now you'd collected the last of the laundry and deposited it into the basket. "[Y/N] [Y/L/N], 3C." You offered out a hand for him to shake.