Citizen Of Brooklyn

Words: 703

Words: 703

Pairing: Steve Rogers x Reader 

Summary: Steve Rogers is volunteering at his local polling place for the election of 2020. His girlfriend, Reader, drops by to cast her vote and blows his cover. 

"Last name?" The blonde haired, blue eyed pole worker questioned you when you reached the front of the line

"Last name?" The blonde haired, blue eyed pole worker questioned you when you reached the front of the line. You put your hands on your hips and sighed heavily. You were at your local polling place attempting to vote. It was standard protocol for volunteers at the poles to verify your information, but this particular pole worker happened to be your boyfriend.

"Really?" You complained, rolling your eyes at him. Steve Rogers wasn't the least bit phased by this.

"It's standard protocol so I can mark you as voted, Ma'am." He told you with a mischievous smile. He wasn't wearing his Captain America uniform; just a pair of jeans, a blue t-shirt, and a flannel. He wasn't working the poles as Captain America. He'd explained to you earlier. He was just working as Steve Rogers, citizen of Brooklyn. So, he was going to come dressed as Steve Rogers. He adjusted his "I Voted" baseball cap and waited for you to answer him.

"You give a guy a clipboard and a list of names for one day and all of a sudden he thinks he has authority. My last name is [Y/L/N]." You informed him. "Do you need to see my photo ID as well?" You already began reaching for your passport before he answered.

"Yes, Ma'am. Thank you." He accepted the passport from you and scrutinized it as if he'd never seen your face before. He was enjoying the anonymity of not being recognized Captain America far too much for your liking.

"Stephen Grant if you don't give me a ballot right now, there's going to be a change in the protocols when you get home." You threatened him quietly. "Starting with you sleeping on the couch."

"Alright, alright." He chuckled. "There's no need to get hostile." He winked before handing you your ballot and your passport.

Steve motioned for the next person in line to come forward as you moved along. She was a middle-aged woman with a flashy streak of purple among her head of salt and peppered hair. The mask that covered her face from chin to nose was nearly the exact shade of purple as her hair.

"I'm not sure what information you need from me." She told Steve as she approached him. "This is the first time that I've voted since 2008. I wished I'd come out last time, maybe things would have turned out differently." She sighed.

"The important thing is that you're here now, Ma'am." Steve told her. He offered her a smile through his star-spangled mask. "I just need your last name and photo ID.

"You know, I'm sure you get this a lot," She commented, reaching into her purse for her ID. "But you look an awful lot like Captain America. You ever look at a picture of him up close?"

"Really?" Steve pretended to be surprised. "No one's ever said that to me before."

"Well, I'm sure you're more handsome than he is, but I swear you could be his twin!" She insisted, handing her ID over.

"Thanks so much, Ma'am. That's kind of you to say." Steve handed her a ballot and her ID.

"You know, if I knew how to get in touch with him or his people, I'd tell 'em Steve Rogers should run for president." The Woman said.

"Wouldn't that be something?" Steve laughed.

You stepped up to the next available voting booth and quickly filled out your ballot. You handed you ballot to one of the pole workers who handed you an "I Voted" Sticker in return. You decided to have a little fun with Steve before leaving. So you placed your sticker proudly on your chest and waved to him from across the room.

"Bye Steve! See you at home!" He looked around the room nervously confirming what he already suspected, everyone had heard you.

"I was right!" The middle-aged woman from before exclaimed. "That is Captain America, isn't it?" She whispered to you.

"Yes." You confirmed before placing a finger to you mask, politely asking her to keep it a secret.

"I can't wait to tell everyone I know that I voted for the first time in twelve years and Captain America was at the polls!"