6.

Anna

"Twenty even," I shouted over the bar, grinning at the handsome man in front of me that was too drunk to grin back. He did wink at me however, and I made a mental note that this was going to be his last drink. He had to be in his late thirties and clearly had a late night at work in the city, because he was still in a suit, but had a loosened his tie. His eyes were glassy, and he tried giving me smile but it came out in more of a grimace.

"How about this - how about I give you ten and my phone number?" He slurred, pushing his weight onto the bar, trying his best to give me a seductive look. I shot Kristy - another bartender - a look, who seemed to be watching the interaction with amusement before laughing at him.

"Unfortunately I can't do that," I shot back, shaking my head. The beers that were sitting on the bar, were now in my hands. I didn't want to risk him running off with the beers in a drunken state. "Twenty or no beers."

He frowned at me, looking as if I had kicked his puppy before mumbling something under his breath. Diving into his pocket, he laid a crinkled note down. "You're no fun."

I grinned in response, before handing him the beers. "No more drinks for him," I whispered in Kristy's ear as I passed her to get to the till. I didn't bother calling out after him for his change because he had already left the bar, and had gotten lost in the midst of the small crowd.

"No shit," Kristy laughed as she poured a drink for a customer. Kristy was probably my favourite bartender. She didn't take shit from anyone, and I found her amusing when she got into arguments with Johnny because of his obnoxious behaviour. She wasn't intimidated by him, she knew that he couldn't fire him because she was telling him where to go when he snapped at her when he was in a bad mood. She always threatened to sue him, which made me laugh. On top of that, she was the only person that I knew of that punched a customer and still kept her job. I knew despite all her bickering with Johnny, he had a soft spot for her because he had defended her in a meeting when the boys were deciding whether or not to fire her.

"This shift is killing me," she groaned, leaning against the fridge. She pushed back a few of her curls that had come loose from her bun and sighed. Her big brown eyes were coated in thick mascara, and she dramatically battered her eyes at me. "Will you tell on me if I finish early?"

I let out a small laugh, and stood beside her against the fridge, my eyes scanning over the crowd of people. It was only eleven PM, just before peak hour. The bar wasn't that busy tonight, and I honestly didn't mind if Kristy left a bit early. I knew she had a daughter waiting for her at home, one who she missed constantly, even if she didn't say it. I turned a blind eye when Kristy would rush to the back to take a phone call from her own mother because she was worried something had happened to baby Jamie. I didn't know what it was like to be a mother, especially a single mother. I admired her relationship with her mother though , because they seemed to have a close bond. I couldn't see my mother ever babysitting my children (if I ever had any) while I worked at a bar.

"How early? Would be a shame if Johnny came in, I don't think I'd be able to cover for you then," I teased. She playfully rolled her eyes, itching at the tattoo on her upper arm. It blended into her caramel skin, wrapping around her arm and flowing down her back.

"Just ten minutes, I need to get baby formula," she admitted. She looked a bit embarrassed, as if I would judge her for such a thing. I knew I came off as bitch at the best of times, but my heart softened at her. She was a good mother, trying to balance work and caring for her daughter.

"Just make sure Stevie walks you to your car," I said, nudging my head in the direction of the bodyguard who was currently at the door. "Too many idiots around at this time."