~Not one more day to live~

"Lexington?"

"Yes, sister?"

"You will come back...right? Do you promise to return?"

Lexington's lips parked, the answer absent. She didn't know what to say. She wanted to hide her sister from the harsh realities of war. So badly. Crossing her fingers behind her back, she forced a smile on her face as she looked at Saratoga.

"I...I promise..."

The promise... it...

It was a lie.

~~~

"You promised her what?!" Yorktown looked at Lexington in shock. The older carrier sighed heavily. 

" I didn't want her to worry... besides, you would have done the same." 

" I guess so," Yorktown murmured, her gaze softening. 

" Let's get this mission done and over with. Then we can go home. And see everyone again." 

"Let's," Lexington agreed, launching her bombers.

~~~

"Scratch one flattop!" Robert E. Dixon's triumphant voice crackled over the radio. Lexington sighed softly. Her crew was celebrating the loss of a Japanese carrier, but she wasn't. The only thing she thought of was how Shōhō's sister would feel.

Walking over to where the pilots who returned were, she asked softly, "How hard did she fight?" The men exchanged a glance. The war had started and yet they still couldn't believe that a woman, a female, possessed power of a whole ship, and an authority like the captain. 

"Hard enough," one of them finally spoke, "She was fighting for... someone or something." 

"Thank you," Lexington whispered, before walking away. She closed her eyes briefly, sighing. Shōhō ... She had so much left to prove. But war was war... What choice did they have? Stepping into the control room, she nodded respectfully at Captain Frederick C. Sherman, who just dipped his head. 

"It's too quiet..." she muttered softly, standing next to him. 

"Is that a bad thing?" 

"Something's coming. Something big," Lexington let out a breath. Just then, she detected planes. Bombers. 

"General quarters!" Her eyes widened as she spoke, looking at the captain who immediately sounded the alarm. Lexington's instincts had proven trustworthy before. She ran out onto the flight deck and saw the CAP circling overhead. 

"Yorktown, we have incoming!" she yelled, activating her rigging. ( In the past, shipgirls could use rigging while their crew controlled the ship, however, this somewhat reduced their capability. Source: Classified) Firing her AA guns. The sky was filled with bursts of flak. A quick glance to the side showed that Yorktown was doing the same. And then... a bomber slipped past their defenses, dropping its load. Lexington barely had time to react as it slammed into her. Pain blossomed in her as she was thrown back by the blast. Getting up to her feet, blood trickled down a deep cut in her arm. The shiny, red liquid dripped onto the ground below her as she gritted her teeth, withholding a cry of re blazing as damage control tried their best to repair it. Running fairly quickly for the pain. She could handle this. For now. There was a gaping hole in her hull and the amount of pain she was in, she reached the control room. Alarms blared as she stepped in, exchanged a look with Sherman.

"You're hurt," he observed, voice slightly concerned. 

"It's just a scratch," Lexington dismissed him.