Chapter 16

Cladded in vibrant red robes, surrounded by hundreds of candle lights, and thousands of people rejoicing their union, all I could do was stand there motionless watching the mesmerizing yet haunting view unfold before me. He was smiling at her as if she was his world... The hollow in my heart kept getting deeper as I witnessed it. What really happened while I was away? That day, didn't you promise me you'd wait for me under the Golden Shower Tree? That night after my return, I waited, waited and waited but no one came... Empty promises... That's all you've made, my beloved friend...

~Anonymous~

Emperor Wei Xiang

*Flashback*

Two bodies crashed on the ground, speckles of dust polluting the air.

*Coughs*

One boy had a fit of cough due to dust, while the other stood up with a smile, wiping the dust off his clothes. He saw the other person looking exhausted and uncomfortable so he decided to help him.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

"Put me down!" Su Ying struggled to get out of Wei Xiang's hands.

"You aren't planning to crawl are you?" Wei Xiang looked at his brother's worn out body that weighed as light as a feather, sweat rolled down his brother's forehead who frowned deeply in annoyance.

"I can walk fine, Xiang..." he pouted and struggled once again pushing on Wei Xiang's chest.

The corner of his mouth lifted while he loosened his arms, Su Ying almost dropping onto the floor. He gasped loudly, grabbing onto Wei Xiang's robe as the culprit tightened his arms around him, making sure he's safe.

"XIANG!" He screamed at the other's face, his fist hitting hard on the person's chest. A deep laugh rolled off the culprit's lips.

He looked at Wei Xiang in disbelief gulping in nervousness

He looked at Wei Xiang in disbelief gulping in nervousness. Wei Xiang watched him hide his face at the crook of his neck, the white, sweat dripping nape exposed in front of his eyes. He exhaled, finally having Su Ying calmed down as he gently laid him down the bed.

"Have some rest. I'll come check up on you at night... Even feed you." He winked knowing full well what his brother's reaction would be.

"I can eat by myself...", Su Ying faces the other way in anger.

Wei Xiang patted Su Ying's head, turning to leave as he heard Su Ying say behind his back, "I'm going to win tomorrow. Just you wait!"

"Fine. Fine. Stop being so worked up on a silly duel." He shook his head with a sarcastic smile, leaving the room feeling refreshed.