Chapter 4

Sorry guys, I was out spending my college vacation. I had planned to focus on writing but my parents dragged me out. Plus, I got wet in the rain and caught a cold. 🤧 I tried my best to give a chap last week but couldn't. 😢 I wrote this chap in a hurry so there might be a lot of mistakes and also just tell me if it doesn't make sense 😑 Hope you enjoy this looong chapter. See ya later! ❤️😃

The thick dark canvas which reeked of melancholy and emptiness engulfed the lotus pavilion as I strolled by. It wasn't long until the clouds slowly dispersed as the pale moon peeked into the gentle wave of waters reflecting its beauty. The soft light of the moon surged calmly onto the bed of flowers as the faint breeze carried the pervasive aroma of the lotus. The white flowers blossomed sporadically onto the layered leaves; some flowered gracefully like elegant dancers while some looked like bashful women.

Suddenly the soft warm glow of fireflies sliced through the darkness illuminating the sky with its sugary light. The lotus pavilion was punctuated with glimmers of light like thousand floating stars adding a drop of warmth to the heart. Despite the cold night that brings a sense of eeriness to a person's heart, without this brimming darkness how would one enjoy the enthralling view of the glowing fireflies?

The view was mesmerizing as my feet paused at the sight.

"Your Highness?" The Chief Eunuch who was a few feet away turned around wondering why I stopped walking.

I lightly shook my head and resumed my feet, "Its nothing."

It's nothing new, but whenever I saw the lotus pavilion at night, it took my breath away. It made me realize how wonderful nature was. No wonder the Emperor spent most of his time here. It would calm one's mind with the silent whispers of nature and together with the sound of my zither, it's an indescribable feeling one would experience.

Walking past the lotus pavilion we arrived at Lianhua palace (Lotus in Chinese is Lianhua. The name of the Emperor's palace). The Chief Eunuch guided me to His Majesty's study room as he announced my arrival at the closed doors,

"Your Majesty, General Su is present at your request."

"Come in." His deep voice replied. Sliding the door open, the Chief Eunuch moved aside as I walked in.

The Emperor didn't bother to lift his head as he continued to write. The candle lights illuminated his god-like appearance which made him look a million times sexier than he already was.

I gulped unconsciously feeling a surge of heat rushing into my head.

"You can leave Shang." His voice snapped me from my trance as I saw the Chief Eunuch closing the doors and leaving.

There was a long silence until His Majesty's voice beamed, still focusing on the writing, "I was expecting you this afternoon. But it seemed you were too busy with your performance tonight, that you forgot to report me on the task I had given you. I have decided to forgive you for the matter. But this shall not repeat again. Now you may speak."

"Pardon, Your Majesty?" I couldn't understand what he was getting at.

He frowned as he looked up, his eyes stern as they locked with mine. No one dared to look into the Emperor's eyes. But for me, as his so-called brother didn't have such restrictions. And of course, this was due to the Empress Mother who once said, "Brothers are your flesh and blood. They are your own kind. Even as an Emperor, never treat them like your subjects, unless they try to harm you."

If I weren't taken into the royal family, I wouldn't have the privilege to enjoy such a sight. Even with the brother relationship, we had a lot of complications between each other, to begin with, because I was a brother only in name. Though he's the only one who treated me like an outsider. He didn't call me First Brother or brother Ying, so I couldn't call him Imperial Brother or brother Xiang. We addressed each other in the most formal way possible, be it in public or in private.