Chapter 2

Above art is Xiao Mei, Su Ying's Mother. I thought of going with the art styles.

"Mother, you remind me of the moon," I remarked looking at the goddess in front of me.

"En. Look whose speaking... It's been quite some time I last saw you." She beamed, warmth in her eyes as she stepped down from her sedan. She bowed down to pay respect to me as her eyes held a hint of sadness as she added, pouting,

"I thought you forgot your mother."

I lightly nodded my head in return and replied with a smile, "...Of course no mother. I had tons of work on my shoulders. I couldn't ditch them even if I wanted to."

She stood straight, sighing. She walked over to me and patted my cheek lovingly, "I guess it can't be helped. Come, let's go to the banquet together. After all, we have a lot to catch up."

"Yes, mother," I responded as I took her hand in mine and helped her to the banquet hall.

My Head Eunuch announced my arrival to the guests, "Announcing the arrival of His Highness, The First Imperial Prince!"

As soon as we entered the hall, I was stunned for the second time. As expected of our Mother Empress. I grinned at her enthusiasm. She was the sole person managing the event with the help of her servants.

The hall was brilliantly decorated with red lanterns with embroidered flowers and, gold ribbons dangling widely across the dark ceiling. The wooden tables arranged with golden table clothes and stools were neatly resting in a row at either side of the hall for the guests.

The hall was a couple of meters long accompanied by a red carpet at a width of one-meter, set on the entrance and all the way to the throne. At the end of the room, the proud and majestic dragon throne stood a few feet higher than the marble floor, connected to a small staircase. A bronze dragon statue was placed at the two ends of the staircase to welcome the Emperor followed by the seats of the key members of the royal family that also included mine.

"Many blessings to Your Highness, the First Imperial Prince!" Everyone in the room quickly stood up and bowed in respect. While some were enthusiastic, the others were cautious and made sure to keep their heads as low as possible while I walked past them. After I had taken my seat, I motioned them with my hand to sit down, "You may take your seats."

"Many thanks to Your Highness!" They voiced out before sitting down.

From the corner of my eyes, I could see His Majesty's consorts squealing happily at my presence. I frowned. This type of behavior was inappropriate.

Since the foremost people of the event were yet to arrive, my mother and I spoke about a lot of things that we've missed during the times I wasn't present. It was recently that I had come back to the palace after solving some issues at the borders. I'd been away from the palace for six months now.

Even if I disliked conversing with her, she was still my mother. So I spoke to her sincerely, putting aside the troubles at hand, just so I could enjoy the banquet. But I shouldn't let my guard down. The main culprit of the assassination of Mother Empress was yet to be found.

I didn't have time to gather any useful information in my last life since they seized me right after Imperial Mother's death. I have no idea what happened, how it happened and why me of all people was branded as a murderer. The only thing I knew was... I shook my head.

Anyway, I could prevent the assassination but... They wouldn't stop. They would surely plot something again.

I glanced at my mother who was talking to one of the consorts.