Chapter 11

Hey guys! This update is two chapters long! So please enjoy the long ride!

Like a moth drawn to flames.
A person who falls in love is unfortunate.
They sacrifice themselves out of love.
Love which they know, doesn't bear any fruit.
But still an idiot, they forget the truth.

Breaking their heart to pieces.
Just to aid others.
But when they're the ones who needs aiding.
They're alone, grieving.
Their wings burnt to ashes.

-Anonymous-

**********

Twirling the brush around my thumb I continued to read the memorials.

"Your Highness, it's time for lunch. Will Your Highness be dining in the study room?" Lily questioned from outside the wooden door.

"Sure. Prepare some mooncakes too." I answered, absorbed in my reading.

"Yes, Your Highness."

My eyes snapped towards the door, lingering at it for awhile... Having a glance at the bamboo scroll I picked it up and quietly stood up, heading to the bookshelf. Placing the scroll back in it's place, I stared at the shelf lost in deep thought.

"Your Highness, this servant has brought the food." Lily announced.

I snapped back to reality, "Come in."

She entered the room with a few other servants, carrying the food and setting the table with the dishes. While observing their movements, I inquired quite dazed,

"Lily, during these past two weeks, did someone visit the palace when I was out on duty?"

Lily stopped on her tracks and looked towards me. She averted her eyes, looking thoughtful. The servants immediately left the room after the preparations, meanwhile she answered prudently bowing,

"Yes Your Highness, Her Majesty, the Empress Dowager had visited twice. And Lady Xiao visited once but left soon after since Your Highness was not present... Also the Fourth Prince had come to welcome Your Highness days ago."

My eyes widened as she answered. I had been concerned about a certain matter that had been bugging me since earlier. And now I had gotten my suspicions solved.

It was too clean. The identity was too clean. Nothing out of order. But how can that be possible? How can this person be too clean? It was as if on purpose, trying to hide certain obvious facts, with the intention of misleading others.

I continued to calmly stare at Lily and lightly nodded,

"Hmm. Next time do inform if someone pays me a visit."

"Yes, Your Highness. Forgive this servant's mistake. It would not happen again... Does Your Highness need me for anything else?" She questioned, her tongue running across her plump lips with a little smile.

I smiled back, "No Lily. You've worked hard. But I lost my appetite. Take these dishes back and eat them. Share it with the other servants too. You can leave the mooncakes here."

As she left the room my smile disappeared forming a straight line. My eyes turning a shade darker, the light almost non-existent. There was also a hint of sadness in them.

So that's what it was. That's how it had always been. How could I've been stupid enough to not notice?

I placed a hand on my forehead, feeling frustrated with how things had started to unveil. Surely I wasn't expecting it but when connecting all the dots the answer was pretty much clear. But for what reason would they need to do that? And, it couldn't explain how Mother Empress was assassinated, and how mother and I ended up as traitors. It would only make things more complicated to figure out.