210221

synopsis // study sessions, kit
thinks jeongguk is a liar

"New puppy?" Kitanna practically drops the load of books she had been carrying into the apartment at the sight of the furry creature, Jeongguk winces at the loud sound. "Since when, why and how?"

"Beats me." Jeongyeon, his aunt, states, she gives a pointed look at him. "It wasn't there the other day. I woke up to the sound of whimpering."

"I found it outside of our flat, in a box." He explains. "It looked pretty sad to me."

"Did you give it a name?"

"I'm thinking Hildegard."

"Classy."

"Yeah, if your dog is making a cameo on Queen's Gambit." Jimin snipes. With the other boy, he helps pick up whatever practice books she had brought in, and Jeongguk snorts at how a mere puppy has managed to bring down the girl's tough exterior.

For this week, it's Jeongguk's turn to host their SAT study session. Which is why the kitchen is actually cleared of everything on the table, asides from the bowl of caramel popcorn and pretzels. There's even a can of Dr. Pepper for Jimin. Kit just prefers water.

"Can we like forget we're supposed to be studying today?" She asks. "Your puppy is super cute."

"I cancelled a date for this, Jung." Jimin scowls. "Get over here."

"A date? You still do those?"

"Yeah. Did you forget about my bad boy facade?" Both her and Jeongguk mentally facepalm at his comment.

"With who?" He asks, grabbing a pretzel.

He hesitates, before giving Kit a pointed look. "...Hyebi."

"Oh for the love of god-" and she clamps a hand over her mouth before she can say anything she regrets in front of Jeongyeon. "My friend? Seriously?"

"Oh she's your friend today?" He fires back. "Last time I remember, you wanted to bite her head off."

She glares at Jeongguk when he laughs. Well, how can he not? It's true. She did admit to that thought a couple days earlier.

"Yeah well, there's a code Jimin. Don't date my friends."

"Please it's hardly anything."

"Uh yeah, okay." She sits down next to Jeongguk. "If you ever go on vacation I can watch your dog."

"Thanks Kit." And she grins at him, snatching one of the books open.

"Alright we should probably start with the trig section, because I know Jimin sucks at trig." The afternoon fades into starlight as the three finally begin their work, jokes thrown in almost every couple minutes. They are pretty productive when together, especially if Kitanna is there. She's the more studious of the trio.

The bowls of snacks are emptied at a steady rate, most of the evening being consisted of Kit explaining how to do something with the occasion of Jimin correcting her. Jeongguk usually carries the two of them with English, but that's not really their focus for the night. Though it's schoolwork, and thinking about the prospect of much bigger things in the future, he really enjoys late evenings with those two.

It's stagnant and simple. Normal too. This is what normal teenagers do. They study for tests together, and don't freak about what monsters lurk in the alleys of Queens.

Jimin is the first to leave, his parents are particularly fond of curfew, so he's gone just as the moon begins to rise, leaving both Kit and Jeongguk in his kitchen. Usually when it is the two of them, they work more in silence. Two introverts basically. Park is the one who brings out most of the conversation.

"Isn't it late Kit?" Jeongyeon calls. "Your dad might be worried."

"He's still working, actually." She explains. "But yeah I should probably get going." Ducking a head under the table, she makes eye contact with the puppy. "Bye Hildy."

"I can walk you back." Jeongguk offers. A little surprised when Kit accepts, he shuts the book, handing it to her. After the girl has packed away her workbooks into her bag, Kit waits for him at the door. Jeongguk quickly grabs a hoodie before following.

"So..." Making sure that they are alone, Kitanna glances back at his apartment. "how did you really get the puppy?"

"What do you mean?"

"Please. You expected me to believe that you found it in a box?" Sometimes it's cute, but he hates how easily she can pick through his lies. It makes sense though, she's incredibly smart. He envies her for being so...academically developed.

"It was in a box!" He protests. "Seriously!"

"Uh huh." Kit nods slowly. "You were totally lying."

"I totally was not." Well, what else is he supposed to say? He found her in an alley in the middle of the night during one of his swings?

"Seriously Kit, I found her in a box. It was sad." He sighs. "I was worried she was going to die." And that part was true, at least.

She's not convinced, but she lets it go. The rest of the walk is relatively silent, up until they reach her floor. Kitanna Jung opens the door, then looks back at him.

"I feel like you're keeping something from me Jeongguk. But whatever, I'll let it slide." Then closes the door behind her. He knows that she knows he was definitely lying. She probably doesn't understand why he has to lie about finding a puppy, but she really would not get it unless he told her the whole truth. And he can't.

It's better she doesn't know.

Then he kicks off, reaching a hand to aim at the lamppost, and the web slinger is off again. She's mad at him, maybe disappointed is a better description, but he hopes that the next few days that he stays away will be enough to cool her anger. For now, her life with him around is going to consist of a lot of that.