210726

synopsis // kitanna jung, the flirt

Kit was in for an earful when she did arrive home, hair messy, shirt stained from the smoke, and eyes weary.

"Kitanna." Her dad never uses her full name in that tone unless he's upset. He has the right to be, as she knows. It was harsh of her to leave him like that. "How could you?"

"Dad, I'm sorry—" The words abruptly leave her mouth when he wraps both his arms around her.

"That was scary Kit. That you just left, and I didn't know where you went! You could have been in danger and..."

"Some of my friends were there, Dad. I had to go see if they were okay." He doesn't need the specifics that she means her friend was fighting the main cause for chaos. Honestly, Kit doesn't know how she's supposed to approach him at school now. Just act normal? As if. They were already having issues to begin with, this just adds to it.

The sweet moment is cut short when Kitanna pushes herself off of her father roughly, rushing to the kitchen sink. And throws up. That was well delayed. The amount of times she had gagged on the way here was crazy, it must be side-effects from confronting Spiderman, almost dying, and inhaling too much smoke.

"Sorry." She croaks after she's done coughing. He only snorts.

"I would have expected more, considering it looks like the second coming outside." At least he finds some humor in the situation, another thing that they share as father and daughter. The humor coping mechanism is really the only thing keeping her put together right now.

🕷

Jeongguk on the other hand, can't believe Kit figured it out. Is he surprised? Yes? No? Both? He was supposed to tell her, not have her find out. So many things had happened that afternoon, one being that a piece of drywall had almost crushed her (again). If Jeongguk hadn't actively been looking for her after hearing that Dr. Ock tried exploding more things near Chateau Dough, he honestly doesn't know what would have happened...

This time, yes, Jeongguk is the one who instigated the fight, which is usually unlike him. He waits for something wrong to happen, when civilians are in danger, not the other way around. It paid off, he supposes. He was able to catch the doctor off guard, and actually turned him in. The days of Dr. Ock reigning spontaneous terror of the citizens of New York City were long over. Now maybe he could just chill out, and finally let his busted arm heal.

He wants to know how it is that she figured it out, but she won't even speak to him. Somehow she finds a way to avoid him, such as missing homeroom so she won't have to talk to either him or Jimin. And when class finishes, she's the first to leave to avoid talk with him. This is exactly what he was worried about. Now that she knows Kit'll probably avoid him like the plague. Imagine if your friend suddenly becomes one of the most famous superheroes out there? Jeongguk can't relate because he is the friend.

He trusts that even with all that, she won't go around telling just anybody about his part-time job. She's better than that for sure, maybe it's just the shock. It has to be. He doesn't think he can deal with her ignoring him for the rest of their lives.

Today, there seems to be a shot at his luck, when he catches Kitanna rummaging through her bag outside of their lockers. That's the longest she's stayed still with him around, perhaps she doesn't even realize he's standing there. So he approaches her.

"Hey, Kit." He jumps in his skin slightly when she abruptly slams her locker shut, turning to face him with a slightly wide-eyed look. Jeongguk slowly purses his lips, taking a step back. "...Can we talk?"

"I don't know." She responds plainly. "I'm supposed to be mad at you right now."

"Right." He nods awkwardly. Jeongguk doesn't know how else to carry out the conversation, to actually speak about it head-on, not that she's officially said that she does not want to speak to him.

"But I'm not. Well, kind of. Not really." Kitanna leans her head back against the locker. "I suppose all that secret-keeping you've been doing all comes back to this. I kind of get why you were being so evasive about." She's trying to not to get soft on him, so to top it off, she adds in a roll of her eyes.

Jeongguk catches himself from letting out a small laugh. That would definitely piss her off.

"Doesn't make it right though. You know I can keep a secret." Kit says. "And before you start that bullshit superhero spiel about how the more people know the more they're at risk for getting hurt, I could care less. I know Jimin knows, which is why you two are always weird around me. For the longest time, I thought you guys were purposefully trying to leave me out in order to have this...macho, manly image."

Now, he chokes out a laugh. "I can assure you Kit, that was not the intention. I just thought the less people knew, the better. Jimin wasn't even supposed to know, truthfully. He just walked in on me when I was changing out of my..." He hesitates when a couple students walk past them. "...suit."

"Ah." She nods. "I see." He's not sure what she's thinking now, whether all of this tension that had been building up between them had now dissipated, whether they were actually good now. "The suit looks very good on you though."

"Thanks. I made it myself." Surely they're going to be late to class considering how long they've been standing at the lockers. But if she's not worried about tardiness, he won't be either. The other thing he can't seem to get off his mind now is how Kit was the one who kissed him on the cheek. Surely she remembers. She must have.

There's no way Jeongguk would forget that.

She must be thinking the same thing, for she speaks up. "Listen, about the day at Chateau Doigh...like when you first saved me." She leans in a little closer to his ear. "I never told anyone that I kissed Spiderman on the cheek. I wasn't sure if I was hallucinating it or not, but I don't think I was. And now that I realized it's you of all people, that's a sign don't you think?"

Kitanna steps away with that, saying she's going to be late if she lingers around any longer. Jeongguk's already pondered the idea of skipping the rest of the day and sticking it out in the nurse's office, there's no way he would be able to focus after this conversation.

"A sign of what, Kit?" He calls after her when she's halfway down the hall.

She turns around once to look at him. "Even if I knew it had been you back then...still woulda' done it!"

Yeah, he's a goner.