210414

synopsis // he's doing his
best, but is that enough?

The necklace for Kitanna intimidates him every time he nears his dresser. It taunts him when he's doing his hair, jeering at him about how much of a coward he is. Why can't he just give it to her? Kit is smart and she would definitely be able to piece together his intentions with the necklace. But he fears rejection more, so it remains there. What he has going on with her as a friend is amazing, Jeongguk doesn't have many close friends like her...anything that might jeopardize it is something he does not wish to chance.

And speaking of her, Kitanna has become pretty distant since he walked out on her at Jimin's party. Understandably so, and of course he's to blame for that (like always) but it still hurts nonetheless. He's not even sure whether his invitation to the talent show still stands. Jimin had urged him to come anyways, claiming that despite her cold exterior, on the inside she would probably appreciate him being there.

He hopes Park is right.

"So..." Jimin hands him a crunch bar. "updates on the fire at Queens Bank?"

"It was to lure me out." Jeongguk responds. "Apparently he goes by Dr. Octopus."

"Octopus?" Jimin snorts. "Weird-ass name."

"Yeah, he may be weird, but the stuff he's doing is dangerous. Dr. Ock is trying to get my attention through crazy acts out in the public. The other day he broke into another treasury. Didn't steal anything, but the weird robotic tentacles he uses injured several civilians."

"Are you going to do something about it?"

"Yeah, I've got to before it goes too far." It's the last they say to each other before the lights of the auditorium dim.

He tries to push aside the other lingering problems. Dr. Ock certainly is a growing one, and Jeongguk hasn't quite figured out a proper way to deal with him yet. Then there's also Kit who thinks he's flakey and unreliable. At least he has Jimin.

Not even twenty minutes into the show, and Jeongguk had just started to settle in, the weird chill of his spider sense hangs on the back of his neck. Shuddering, Jeongguk sits up straighter. Something's not right.

"Dude." He elbows Jimin. "The tingle is back."

"Kit's literally going on any second!" He hisses back. Jeongguk groans. "Can you cover for me?"

"I'll try, I make no promises."

And reluctantly, Jeongguk slips out through the back exit.

Jimin tried, but he failed. Kitanna was able to easily pick out that half of the duo was missing, didn't take much to notice that it was the one who always failed to show up to anything and everything on time. Jeongguk is standing there next to Jimin when the three girls exit from backstage, victorious with the Starbucks gift-cards.

The other's head is narrowed downwards, hood pulled over his face. Jimin clears his throat, gesturing to the door. "I'm really craving Filo food right now. It's on me if you guys want to go."

"Where the hell were you, Jeongguk?" She spits out, crossing her arms. Katie seems pretty satisfied that Kit is finally calling him out on his bullshit — pretty well deserved to be honest. Hyebi passes Jimin a withering glance, it's quite clear that an argument amongst the two is about to re-emerge, and usually those leave Kitanna is an awful mood.

"I was here!" Jeongguk protests. "Jimin can attest for me."

"Oh yeah?" She takes a step closer. "What song did we perform?"

Jeongguk's about to speak, thinking he definitely knows this answer. In the back behind her, Jimin quickly waves his hand to get his attention and perhaps save the boy from embarrassing himself more — they had not performed Russian Roulette.

"...Russian Roulette." Jeongguk says smoothly, only to immediately regret it when he notices the disappointed expression on her face.

"Wow. You're literally full of shit."

"Kit, no." When he looks directly her way, she notices the ugly purple bruise forming at the corner of his jaw. The hood is enough to hide it to an unobservant eye, but she sees it right away. "It's not like that!"

"Then what exactly is it? Because to me it looks like you deliberately ditched something that you promised you would go to! And it's not just about this stupid talent show Jeongguk. You make pathetic excuses for everything, you lie to me about everything. How can I even be friends with you if you won't be honest with me? I don't know who you are anymore!"

"Wait guys," Hyebi's voice cuts through the tension building between the two of them. "you might want to look at this."

She hands her phone to Kit. "Apparently there was an explosion at Nexus Labs."

"Dr. Octopus?" Jimin asks, peering over.

"Yeah," Hyebi nods. "That's apparently the name of the guy who caused the explosion. Spiderman was there, he saved a bunch of people."

"Wait." Katie snatches the phone from Kitanna. "My dad works there. He was on his shift to patrol the lab during the talent show."

In the midst of the chaos, the three girls leave to reassure Katie, and probably to take a visit to the hospital. When they do finally disappear from sight, Jeongguk slumps to the ground in defeat.

"I don't know what I'm doing wrong, man. I'm really trying my best." And what sucks the most is that maybe his best isn't enough.

a/n: dr. ock is obv taken
from the cartoons but just
wanna say that i've changed
the story up a little bit :)