210413

synopsis // the rose quartz
necklace

Today marks a special day; students in his school arrive wearing slinky day bags over their shoulders. Jeongguk himself follows with the crowd, Jimin stands next to him wearing a stylish fanny pack over his chest and a pair of shades to go with. Upon seeing him, Jeongguk told him he looked like a wannabe trainee.

In response, Jimin punched him.

They are to spend the entire day in Philadelphia, learning about the Liberty bell and all that jazz. It's yet another historical trip that doesn't have much significance to him, but they are allowed to go around and tour the city at their leisure. Jimin already has their entire day planned, much to Jeongguk's annoyance who would much rather prefer wandering loose than sticking to a blocked out schedule.

However, upon their free period of exploration, he's able to escape Park's shackles, entering a jewelry store. One of which captures his attention. It's vintage, totally his vibe, even smells like lavender incense sticks.

The girl up at front perks her head when he approaches, pushing her curly red hair back. "Hi, welcome to Pacific. Is there something I can help you with?"

"The name is cool." He comments, her smile brightens more.

"Really? This place belongs to my cousin. It was a slight play on words regarding the Pacific Ocean. If you watched Ocean's 8, the female retelling, they stole a bunch of necklaces..." She gestures down to the glass case that he's standing front of. "I'm totally rambling, but you seem like you're here for a gift."

Jeongguk laughs quietly. "Yeah, actually I am." He rocks back into his heels. "I'm not really sure what I should be looking for, but give me whatever you like best?"

The cashier arches a brow. "This is for a girl?"

He nods.

"She's special, huh?"

"Definitely." Jeongguk agrees. "I just want to give her something that shows how I feel, because I don't think I have been making that clear lately."

"Well I recommend this rose quartz stone." She pulls out a golden chain, with a pink stone encased at the center. "This stone is special, and represents building and receiving love from others. You would give this to someone who is very close to you, especially if you want to tell them how much you love them." When she glances from the stone to Jeongguk, a small smirk lifts her lips.

"Intimidated?"

"No!" He's quick to shake his head. "It's perfect. I'll take it."

While Jimin and Jeongguk are (supposedly) spending the afternoon in Philly together, Hyebi had stressed that the trio spent their afternoon together, emphasizing the importance of spending time away from their male friends. Kit didn't mind leaving those two to themselves considering that's what they usually did anyways — it's a backhanded statement since they like to hide things from her — and found herself enjoying Hyebi and Katie's presence. Katie was more than happy to leave the two boys behind.

"I get that you've been friends with him forever Kit." The girl says, brushing back her dark hair. "But I genuinely don't understand how you haven't cut him off. He's so fucking flakey, that doesn't fly with me."

"She's mooned over him, Katie." Hyebi explains, earning a scowl from Kitanna. "She's too far in to back out."

"Ugh. I'm so glad to be aromantic. This shit is way too complicated."

"It's not complicated. To you and me, the situation is very cut and dry, but Kit and Jeon obviously can't see the lines, so they're just meandering on their own sides, being wimps."

"Stop bringing him up." She scoffs. "Not in the mood to keep this up, honestly."

Katie snorts. "Oh they probably fought again. What is it this time? His secrecy?"

"Yeah."

"He's an ass! Move on from him!" The other protests. "You deserve better than a guy who can hardly remember what his plans are for tomorrow. And secrets too? It's an obvious no."

"You can't just turn off your feelings Kit." Hyebi reasons. "Clearly Katie is advocating for the devil —"

"You know I'm right!"

"— No you are not. Jeongguk is an amazing guy, we all have known him for years. He literally rescues puppies, tell me that isn't super soft."

"Anyone with a heart can do that." Katie says.

"Taking care of a dog is responsibility. Not everyone is up for that challenge, and our handsome friend did that without hesitation. He even got in a fight with the guys who were hassling the dog."

Kit sits up. "He did?"

"Yeah. Jimin told me."

"He told me he found the dog in a box." Kitanna scowls. "Again, he lied." She doesn't quite understand why Jeongguk feels the need to lie about details like these. He won't tell her where he actually got the puppy. He won't be honest on how he injured himself. He refuses to open about the weirdest things, like where he found inspiration for that one painting? And Kitanna wishes she could have just the slightest clue as to why he is so secretive.

They round to the main street, waiting for the crosswalk to change lights. Across the street, she recognizes him. It takes much of her restraint not to scowl, just yet another reminder of all the drama she was dealing with. Kitanna already had enough going on at home, she used to have optimistic views that maybe Park and Jeon could be her peace from the war zone, clearly not.

The scowl disappears more when she realizes he's sitting next to a girl. Not just any girl, Suzy, that same upperclassman who he always goes to for advice. Kitanna had always assumed that him and her had the typical mentee-mentor relationship, and Jeongguk never really brought her up that much with the three of them.

It doesn't seem very mentor-mentee though from the way it looks; he's showing her a small black box. Kitanna is far from an idiot, that is definitely jewelry. And maybe some guys buy necklaces for their platonic girl friends, but Jeongguk is certainly not the type considering he has never done such a thing for her.

She nudges Hyebi, who's on her right. "Did you ever think maybe Jeongguk isn't single?"

"Kit, please—"

"It makes sense now." She admits, though rather sorrowfully. "Why he never tells me where he goes. I didn't once bother to consider maybe he doesn't want people to know."

Hyebi glances in the same direction, then narrows her eyes. "If he were with Suzy, he totally would have told you."

"That's what I thought too, but perhaps I don't know him as well as I thought I did."