210222

synopsis // spiderman gets a kiss

Though the view from his bedroom window isn't the best, Jeongguk does like the sight of seeing people walking to and fro on the sidewalk pavement, it allows for brief episodes of creativity. And like now, he's sketching in his book, the low hum of Nelly Furtado escapes his speaker. The chorus is about to hit, and Jeongguk lets out a groan when it abruptly pauses.

He doesn't have much time to wallow in his irritation when there's a loud boom in the distance. An odd chill is sent down his spine, spider sense or not he knows something is up.

It only takes a couple minutes, but the red and blue hero quickly leaps out of his bedroom window when the coast is clear, swinging from the platforms of each Queens apartment complex in the area to send him closer to the location. Of course something has to interrupt him just as he was about to get into an artistic groove.

But that thought's replaced when he rounds near Chateu Dough, Kit's pizzeria. Yeah it's there. Right down the block, there must have been some explosion, or fire. Jeongguk can't really tell, but it's definitely not normal. Civilians are already berserk.

Kit. He groans, because this isn't good. She's supposed to be working with her dad today. Swinging down to the front entrance, he peers inside. Everything seems in place asides from the windows being shattered, he can't find anyone in sight. They must have already evacuated.

Right, the real problem is the building down the block. Picking up into a sprint, he launches himself up against one of the walls, and climbs. Jumping rooftops usually is fun, but this time he has a task on hand, so it's not as fun. There must have been some sort of explosion in one of the upper levels, a raging fire ensues. Without thinking much of it, Jeongguk jumps in through one of the broken windows that spills black smoke.

"Engage fog vision," he mumbles to himself. The suit listens, the lens of the mask which let him see refocus in the bad lighting. There's no one here, that's good too. It must have been a vacant floor.

Jeongguk frowns when his phone vibrates. Sliding it, he raises it to his ear.

"Yo, are you seeing this? Queens Bank is on fire."

"Yeah I am aware." Jeongguk mumbles. "Thanks for the memo."

"Why are you muffled? Is it my connection?" Then he pauses. "Oh. You're working."

"Yeah, thanks for the distraction dingus." He takes the stairs. "Have you called Kit?"

"She's not picking up." Jimin says. "Called her three times."

Jeongguk curses. "Okay. Yeah thanks, I'll call you once I'm done."

"Stay safe Spiderman."

Of course, there is nothing good about dealing with a fire, especially when everyone outside is panicking, but luckily the fire department has already arrived. Jeongguk helps in assisting people who remain on the lower floors out the building — he even has to braid out a webbed ladder at some point since the stairs look suspiciously unreliable — so it's not ranked at one of his more death-nearing experiences.

More importantly, he wants to know whether this was an accident or not.

He exits the building around a hour or two later, it feels nice to be breathing something cleaner than his suit air. Yet there is still no word from Kitanna, so seeing that his job is done here, Spiderman decides to go look for her instead. It doesn't take long fortunately, she's staring dumbstruck up at the smoking building.

Again there's that odd chill. Before she can even move from her spot, Jeongguk yells "watch out!" before rushing in front of her. He deflects the heavy debris from the burning tower, so that it doesn't hit her. Thank goodness for that heightened speed and strength, otherwise he does not think he would have gotten to her in time.

Recoiling his fist, he frowns at how it stings; remembering how he had used it several nights ago to prevent a robbery. Now it buzzes with pain more than it ever had before. Whatever, it's an injury to deal with later.

"Woah, Spiderman?" It slipped his mind how she was still standing there. She brushes a hand through her hair. "You saved my life."

He laughs awkwardly, quickly changing his tone so that he is somewhat unrecognizable to her. "No biggie. It's part of the job description."

"I work at Chateu Dough." She states, still pretty shocked over the fact that the infamous hero is here. She points down the road. "I mean, we're not open now, but it's on the house if you were to ever come."

"Oh seriously, ma'am you don't have to do that—"

"Please, it's nothing." She rocks back on her heels, and it's Jeongguk, not Spiderman, who realizes that she is probably really stressed over the fact that she could have died, just now. "Ah, right my dad. I should get going. Thank you again Spiderman."

And then she does the most absurd thing before leaving. Almost makes him forget that he's supposed to be playing the superhero part right now.

She kisses him on the cheek.