we get to the fun stuff

word count: 1297

sorry for not updating, I passed my a-levels (yay) and started my apprentice ship which means I have my own knives now (YAY)

as usual, if you have any fun ideas or anything to say about the story or my writing, feel free to comment, it makes my brain go brrrrrrrr. 

have a nice day!

The next morning they made their way into Dun Kilty.

The plan was laughably simple. 

Halt and Horace entered the capitol at midday. Their disguises were simple. The grumpy old shepherd, a role which - they all agreed- fit Halt perfectly, and his dutiful nephew, Horace.

Meanwhile William, Percy and Will went with a less orthodox approach and  followed them into the city with ten minutes delay, pretending to be bards looking for coin. The guards scoffed but let them in without complaint. 

Annabeth, Thalia and Nico, who would have preferred to just shadow travel them inside, horses and all, were the only ones actually stopped by the guards which was a bit of a problem since they had no plausible story prepared. The problem proved to be non existent when Annabeth, without taking so much as a breath, began rambling about her poor, poor mother and her sister who was recently widowed and wasn't this a cruel world? Had the guards heard about the attacks in the periphery or were they untouched of such terrible fates in this beautiful city? truly such a beautiful city, yes. 

While Nico was still amazed by Annabeth's ability to talk and talk and talk without running out of air the guard had already ushered them past the gates, seemingly suddenly very very tired of his duties. 

While Percy and the Wills - as they had been dubbed by Percy himself in a moment of enlightenment - found an Inn, Thalia and Annabeth scouted out the city's defences and outlay and Nico wandered - seemingly idly - about the castle and palace, making note of the servants hallways and the odd unlocked door. Whenever someone came too close to his liking he simply melted into a shadow and tried very hard to find an excuse to tell Will later. 

While the demigods and Will secured the perimeter - and some dinner - Horace and Halt were checking up on Tennyson. 

The man had - with the help of his dozens of loyal followers and a couple of barrels of wine and beer - taken over the market place and was wasting everyones time by sprouting loudly and dramatically about the miracles and wonders of monotheistic religion or some similar nonsense. 

Instead of listening to the fanatic rambling Horace watched the crowd. Many of the locals seemed to be sceptical at first but changed their minds quite easily when Tennyson's men started handing out cups of various forms of alcohol. 

Soon the entire market place was in a festive mood but Horace wasn't exactly going to start listening to Tennyson now, and Halt was busy buying a fancy new knife, so he diverted his attention from the general crowd to Tennyson's following and counting the numbers of white robes mingling while letting his mind wander. 

Horace greatly respected Halt - at least most of the time - but the man had issues and his coping mechanisms were all either illegal or related to knifes. 

He'd heard a rumour once that Halt cut his hair with his throwing knife, and he wasn't sure what to think about that. 

Taking a concerned look at Halt's hair-do Horace was suddenly very sure that the rumours were true. 

-

When sundown came they made their way to the tavern. 

Percy and the Wills had gone to the one on the main street, just a couple hundred yards from the Maingate. The door was solid wood but didnt keep in the noise - laughter, cutlery clanking on dishes, a couple of conversations that were mushing together, and, above it all, the music, lively and melancholy at the same time but not any song Horace recognised. 

Almost subconsciously he found himself draw to the door, even though he knew they still had to take care of the horses. Only Halt grabbing him by the arm and pulling him back made him realise he had been staring. 

Horace shook his head and followed the ranger to the stables. 

Five minutes later they were standing in the door of the inn. 

The Wills were playing a mandolin and a harp respectively while Percy was singing another song Horace didn't know.

Thalia and Nico were sitting at a corner table while Annbeth was standing by the bar,  a couple of plates and bowls in front of her and her money pouch in her hands.

As Horace was still watching the Inn-keeper filled three tall mugs with beer. 

Careful not to step on any feet he and Halt made their way to Annabeth. Horace took two bowls while Halt payed for the beers and took another two - Annabeth smiled ever so slightly and took a plate and the a second one and then a third one and then a bowl, which she carefully balanced in the crook of her elbow and then the three remaining mugs. Thalia and Nico, who were watching them from the table, seemed unimpressed but Horace could have sworn Halts eyebrow had twitched for a second. 

Without another word Annabeth turned away from the bar and made her way to the table in the corner, which was surprisingly roomy, likely usually meant for patrons. 

While the others passed around bowls and cutlery Annabeth went back to the innkeeper and requested five more drinks - but no beer apparently. When all of them minus the aspiring bards were seated the dug in, It had been quite a day after all. 

When she was done Thalia pulled out a set of cards - impossibly clean, colourful lines on shiny white parchment, or maybe even paper - and started a game of something. There were no stakes involved as far as Horace could see and after a few rounds he joined in. 

It was surprisigly simple, and soon they were immersed in a low conversation. 

Thalia dealt them another round and Nico snorted and shook his head when the music - ever present, ever beautiful changed subtly from one song to another. 

»I cant believe were in an actual tavern and of all the songs these idiots know they chose that one.« 

Thalia nodded sagely, while Annabeth remained still. 

Horace took a sip of his beer. He tried to listen closer, but couldn't make out any concrete words. "What's it about? I don't understand any of the lyrics. I don't think I've ever heard this before.«

»You wouldn't have. It's one of ours. One of those everyone knows but no-one ever remembers learning.« Nico explained while placing the first card - heart seven. 

Annabeth placed the heart nine and there was a sense of amusement in her voice when she spoke. »The singer is very well known, and so are many of his songs, but this one is... well. Special.« 

Thalia placed a ten of spades and horace a queen of clubs. Nico placed two kings and annabeth smiled slyly before setting down two aces, which won her the round. 

»It's not a song anyone ever really forgets once they've heard it, and as Nico said: you don't learn the lyrics, you just kind of... know them. Someone once said that it must be magic because it has no real structure as most of our songs do and the story it tells is incomprehensible the first few times you try to listen. They called it a sirens song.« 

Halt motioned to join in as Thalia started another game. »Sirens... like in the stories? Singing a song so beautifully sailors drown themselves? Those are real?" 

"Real?" Nico asked. "Oh, yes." 

He smiled lightly as Thalia subtly nodded once in Percys direction, and that was that for the night.