Chapter 38

His brothers (mostly Izuna) might be shocked silly if they witnessed this, but Madara didn't mind being dragged around by Hashirama.

Senju Hashirama, unlike many others, breached other people's personal space without ulterior motives and deception, innocent like a child with only pure thoughts in mind. That was why Madara did not find Hashirama's hand-holding behavior uncomfortable or odd. These thoughts, however, did not extend to Hashirama's clan, unfortunately.

"Hashirama!" Someone shrieked, tone utterly scandalized. "What kind of wretched behavior is this?! On your wedding day, no less!"

Madara and Hashirama both came to a screeching halt. They turned as one with twin looks of confusion etched across their face. The person who had shrieked was an elderly woman who appeared to be in her 60s, with greying hair and a sharp gaze, her slitted eyes and angular features brought a sense of familiarity to Madara. She wore a regal-looking pink kimono and had her hair up in a tight bun, tight enough to give her a facelift. The expression on her face could burn water.

"Hiiobaa-sama!" Hashirama called out to the elderly woman, more so in surprise than anything else.

Madara himself was surprised.

Ah, after squinting for a bit, he could somewhat see the family resemblance between this woman and Tobirama. No wonder those penetrating chocolate eyes brought a sense of familiarity with it. Then-Tobirama held that exact expression when angered beyond reason.

"Is this your sousobo, Hash- Senju-sama?" Madara asked belatedly. His lips were quirked into a pretty smile, polite and respectful towards his friend's elder. "How do you do, madam? I am –"

"Shameless!" The elderly finished for him, which left him baffled. She forcefully separated their joint hands and stood to face Madara head-on, an enraged look on her graceful features as she pushed her great-grandson to her back in a protective gesture. "Begone, harlot! I may be old, but I am not afraid to claw your face into ribbons. Don't test me!"

Madara was stupefied. He blinked, unable to comprehend her words as he made eye contact with the equally dumbfounded Hashirama.

"You...! You still dare bat your eye at my grandson?! Wench! Over my dead body will I overlook your inappropriate behavior!" The elderly woman roared. Fortunately, they were alone at the edge of the Senju compound, far enough from the celebration and attendees to be left unheard.

Madara, having realized that they were being misunderstood, quickly took a step back, hands raised in a placating manner. "Please, calm yourself, hiiobaa-sama –" was apparently the wrong thing to address her by. She completely blew her top.

"Who are you to call me great-grandmother?! I do not have harlots in my family! Get lost! You are not welcome in this compound. I don't know how a shameless trollop like you have managed to seduce my great-grandchild to this extent... it must be genjutsu. My Hashirama will never betray his wife without foul play brought by green tea foxes!"

Hashirama choked, the oblivious Senju having finally caught up. "Hiiobaa-sama, no!" He flailed with a shriek; the pitch of his voice high enough to match a pre-pubescent girl's.

"No? No?!" The elderly woman turned to Hashirama so fast Madara almost doubted her age. Her nostrils flared as she grabbed ahold of her great-grandchild's forearm and raised a hand. "What no?! Are you defending this wench?! I. Did. Not. Raise. You. To. Be. Unfaithful. To. Your. Wife!" With every word she spoke, she smacked her palm down his back.

"Ahh! It hurts! Wai- stop! No, hiiobaa-sama, you're wrong- Ouch!"

Poor Hashirama, who stood at a towering height of 185cm, with a bulky frame and broad shoulders to match, was hunched over and crying out in pain as he was smacked repeatedly by a 150cm elderly woman. It would've been a comical sight if not for the humiliating misconception fueling her action.