Chapter 22: Mr Beaumont Makes His Move

Chapter 22

                                       Mr Beaumont Makes His Move

        Miss Caroline Davis had never been so mortified in her entire life. Had she known she stood in peril of male impulses, she would have retreated the instant Mr Beaumont came within a few paces from her. But such manner, as improper as it was unexpected, she’d never thought he was capable of; and it was with vague disappointment to have found that for all their warm, easy friendship he’d tried to take advantage of her in the end. With her head still reeling from an unpleasant blend of throbbing and shock, Caroline was uncertain whether to feel relieved or upset of the fact that it was Lord Stokeford who had discovered them in so compromising a situation. One glimpse of his dour countenance was enough for her to be positively sure he’d witnessed all, and she wished that the floor would swallow her whole right now.

        With an effort she gathered all her scattered sensibilities and tried to breach the lingering silence. But the lingering effect of that kiss was such that she only made a mull of what might have been a less implausible explanation by stammering, “L-Lord Stokeford! I — we w-were just — that is — ”

        “So I’ve gathered ma’am,” snapped his lordship with unnecessary force that made her flinch, and drew a protest from his cousin.

        “See here, Stefan! There’s no need to use that tone to Miss Davis,” Laurie retorted, bravely holding the smouldering gaze with his own grave, steady one. “You can vent your spleen on me, for God knows how much I deserve it. But upon my honour, it was never my intention to — ,”

        “Very true I’m sure,” he interrupted, his lip curling. “But you should address your pretty speech to Miss Davis cousin, and not to me.” 

        Laurie gritted his teeth. “I’ve intended to do so, cousin.”

        Caroline gaze at them with horrified dismay. It seemed that the quarrel which had been brewing for several days was about to come to a head. Despite Mr Beaumont’s infamy however, she didn’t wish to add the night’s predicament to the breach, and the very least she could do was to avert trouble as much as possible. She felt dizzy, and her nerves were already frayed, but she managed to say placatingly, “Please, that is not what you think, my lord. I shouldn’t have — ” She broke off, for all of a sudden the room seemed to spin, and her legs had gone wobbly. Then, from the farthest corner of her mind she thought she heard Mr Beaumont cried her name, but the succeeding sounds became quite muffled to her ears as darkness descended upon her.

        Cursing softly, Lord Stokeford sprang forward to catch her swaying form in the nick of time. A troubled look came to his frowning eyes as he peered at the pale little face. He gently patted her cheek, slipped a hand on her forehead. “By God, but she’s feverish. Laurie, run along and bring March and that duenna of hers here — quick! And for God’s sake make as little stir as possible.” Laurie nodded and rushed to the direction of the ballroom while Stefan carried his burden to a gilded divan whichstood againsta wall in the dimmed hall. The furniture being short of size, he was obliged to settle Caroline into a sitting position, letting her sag against his chest as he sat beside her. After a moment or two he felt her stirred, and heard a soft whimper, “Want… to… go home. Please I — go home…”

        “And home you shall be, Miss Davis, but we’ll send for your chaperone first,” he replied, and wounded a strong arm about her. She breathed heavily and whispered, “That… you, Lord Stokeford?”