Chapter 20: Growing Feelings

Chapter 20

                                                      Growing Feelings 

         If Mr Beaumont had been distressed by their present estrangement, Lord Stokeford had naturally had every reason to feel the same. In the past week they’d managed to avoid one another in clubs and social gatherings. Laurie had ceased to visit in Upper Brook Street, a circumstance which the Countess found strange, and tactlessly asked her son about it in one occasion. She was met with a stony silence, and, in a fit of pique because of this incivility, she declared, in acerbic tone, that she was not at all surprise if he’d contrived to alienate Laurie as well, for he had a remarkable way of making himself disagreeable to everyone. Lord Stokeford bore this criticism in silence, but when he repaired to the solicitude of library to seek some solace from his favourite book, he reflected that what his mother had said was scarcely far from the truth, and his spirits sank lower still. There were a very few occasions when he and Laurie fell into disagreements during their younger years, but he never imagined that there would come a time when their differences could engender a detachment. Even Robert, whose tact could be matched to that of a diplomat, had been futile in talking them out of their rift. Stefan was not angry with Laurie; indeed, he longed to be reconciled with him. He only feared that his words had cut deep into him, and that his apology might be rejected.

        He called on the Winscotts one afternoon, half-expecting to see his cousin there. Upon learning from the butler that Mrs and Miss Winscott had gone to Bath, he was rather surprised, and wondered for a moment what could they possibly want to do in such a humdrum place. The butler coughed discreetly and said that if my lord would like to know, Miss Davis did not come with them, and was in fact in the premises at the moment. The Earl had hoped to find her alone, but when he was ushered to the drawing room, he was a little disappointed to discover that she was with the Suthertons.

        She received him with her usual warmth. “Lord Stokeford! It is nice to see you! I regret to say, though, that my Aunt and Sophie has gone out of town.” 

        “So I’ve been apprised by your butler,” replied the Earl. “I — er, merely wished to find how do you go on, but since you’ve other visitors I won’t stay long. Perhaps I’ll call on you again in another time.”

        A small, insisting hand prevented him from leaving. “Oh, but please, do stay!” urged Miss Davis. “I’m sure you are acquainted with Miss Sutherton? This is her sister-in-law, Mrs Sutherton! We’ve just finished tea but if you would like it, I’ll send for another cup.” The Earl declined this offer, and exchanged polite how-do-you-dos with the Suthertons. After a few minute’s chatter in which Lord Stokeford took little part, the Suthertons, promising their hostess to call on her again soon, took their leave of them.

        “For how long will your relatives be away?” asked Lord Stokeford.

        “About a week perhaps. My aunt’s mama-in-law who lives in Bath has taken ill, you see, so they were obliged to go there. Aunt Emilia was in a state of agitation over her poor condition, and insisted on leaving the town without any delay.”

        “I see. But surely they cannot leave you here alone?”

        “Oh, no! Of course not!” she replied, smiling mischievously up at him. “Consider, sir, how my Aunt would spend her sojourn in constant dread of whatever larks I might be making on her absence! Besides, it would be most irregular to be left here all by myself. She has temporarily engaged a chaperon — and a very dear creature! — to look after me while they are away. Her name is Miss Moore, but you cannot see her right now because she had a little headache, and I insisted on her taking an afternoon nap for a while.”