Epilogue

"Do tell me, my love, if you're done counting the raindrops on the windowpane and I shall congratulate you for it," Stokeford, looking up from the Times, said drily to his wife. They were presently in the library on this cold rainy day in October, enjoying a cheery fire together with the newest addition to their household: a golden-brown spaniel by the name of Eliot, who was leisurely reclining at the foot of her mistress. Lady Caroline Stokeford sighed and smiled sheepishly at her lord. "No, you may not. The truth is I've lost count of it already. I just wish it would stop raining now."

"Caro, this is England. What else do you expect? In any event I told Hayes to set aside the work on the bridge over the creek. The bank already looks like a deplorable sludge. While we'd been sojourning in the sunny Rome, it seems that storm after storm came visiting here to wreck havoc."

"Yes, even Papa had told me about it. Does Robert intend to visit us? He has not yet returned to London, has he?"

"No, but I expect he will come over by the weekend," replied Stokeford and once more retreated to his newspaper.

Caroline let out a faint sigh again and turned to the window. Outside was a very unflattering view of grey and mist, and the downpour never seemed to cease. In this kind of weather there wasn't anything one could do but to curl up before the fire and bury one's nose in a nice book. Not that Caroline found anything dull in this. She was quite thankful for every thing that was happening to her, either small or big. Even the simple comfort of having able to spend a small time of leisure in the company of her husband seemed luxury enough. Marriage life proved to be agreeable for her, and it brought her a whirlwind of things to learn as a wife and as a mistress of her own establishment.

She was about to return to her neglected reading when she saw a carriage trotting down the muddy drive and exclaimed brightly: "Why, only look, Stefan. I do think this is Robert!"

Stefan set aside the newspaper and stood, and sauntered towards her. He frowned. "Very unlikely, as I don't think that is his coach. If I am not mistaken, that is a hired one. I wonder?"

His wife raised her bemused countenance to him. "But who can it be if not Robert? I daresay no one would have ventured to travel under this kind of weather. Are you expecting someone else?"

"Not that I am aware of, love. You just stay here while I'll discover the identity of our queer visitor." He turned to his heels and left the room. Caroline relaxed on her seat again and forced her wandering mind to the book in her hand. Eliot gave a hearty yawn and curled closer to her, apparently scraping for some attention. Laughing softly, she put the book down and picked him up, placing him on her lap. "Naughty boy! I know you are dying for a scratch this age!" she said, scratching him under his muzzle. In response to this, Eliot barked cheerfully and stuck his tongue out. "Yes, that feels good isn't it? Although you often do not have this kind of luck when your master is around."

Again, he barked and hung his head on the side as if in askance.

Caroline regarded him pensively. "Well, I personally think you are not very accomplished in turning him up sweet. Not that he dislikes dogs of course; he treasures his hounds as much as his horses. Still, you must make a little more exertion if you want his entire attention." Eliot listened for a while, but in the end it seemed that he lost interest in his mistress's advice, and slumped down, his eyes half-closing. Observing him, Caroline chastised him for being inattentive, and that she didn't wonder at all why Stefan was not inclined to play with him. "And speaking of him, who is this strange visitor that keeps him long?" she mused loudly.

Eliot made a queer sound but sat up when the door opened again. He was checked however when it was a stranger that entered and not his master. Thus, he barked fiercely for this sudden intrusion, but his mistress had a wholly different reaction, and he found himself being abruptly cast aside as she flew to the stranger.