Chapter 16: A Falling-Out Between Cousins

Lord March’s reaction to Mr Beaumont’s injured state, upon being ushered into the breakfast room of Stokeford House the next day, was one flabbergasted, jaw-dropped silence. Since he was the first occupant whom he’d immediately clapped eyes on, the greetings which were already at the tip of the Viscount’s tongue remained unspoken, and his progress in the room was momentarily put off. Laurie, who'd passed an unrestful night in his cousin's abode, looked pale, his eyes leaden (besides being sore), but having seen the newcomer’s thunderstruck expression, they gleamed with amusement. He said cheerfully: “Good morning, Robert! Glad you can join us!”  

        The Earl looked up from The Times and received his friend with a perfunctory greeting.“Coffee, March?” he offered, and turned to the butler. “Philips, lay another cup for the Viscount.”

        “And will you pour me another? Thank you! I say, Stefan, if breakfast is always this good, then I believe I am quite tempted to come here every morning! You won’t mind that, will you?”

        “Not at all. I’ll very much appreciate the company.”

         “Upon my word!” Lord March finally broke in after the shock had abated. “Don’t you just sit there the pair of you, and drink your cups as though nothing in the world is amiss, because I see that there is, and what’s more, it damned well beats me! What the devil had you got yourself into, Laurie? Spending the night in a prizefight, I gather?”

        Laurie began to chuckle, but was shortly stifled by a wince of pain from swollen cheeks. “Egad, no! Although I’d say that would be terribly exciting. I’d done an emprise last night, Robert, and a thrilling one, too. A thousand pity you weren’t there!” he shook his head, in an affectation of regret.

       “A thousand pity it is, for I’d lay a monkey just to see you beaten to a pulp, you young jackanapes! Well?”

        “I’d saved a damsel in distress,” said Laurie before gobbling up a roll.

        The Viscount looked incredulous. “Damsel in distress—!” came his faint response as he sat across them on the table. Mr Philips poured him coffee. “Thanks, old chap,” he said to the butler, a little abstracted. “I’ve a need of another cup after all, because either my head is still on my pillow, or that my senses do not correspond accordingly this morning. Either way, I am dashed if I could swallow anything right now other than this coffee!”

        “It’s neither,” declared Lord Stokeford flatly. “Laurie’s not gammoning you. It’s true, there had been an unfortunate incident last night. Would you care to join me to the library afterwards?”

        “Of course. Well, my young buck? Where do we start in this extraordinary feat of yours? Come now, I’m all attention!”

        “Oh, I’m tired of telling my tales all over again!” exclaimed Laurie, a little vexed. “Lord, I’ve had enough of Sir Wallace’s last night, and what's more he'd plagued me with questions until I was sure my head would split into half! Stefan, I’ll be much obliged to you if you’d spare me this morning! Will you tell the rest to Robert? I’m sure he’ll be satisfied with only you!” Lord Stokeford had certainly obliged, and steered the Viscount to the library posthaste after he’d finished his coffee, leaving his cousin the gratification of finishing his own meal undisturbed. 

        “What I am agog to discover,” Lord March began at once when the door was barely shut, “is just who was this damsel that was worth putting up a fight? Not that I ever doubted young Laurie could play the gallant, and a shocking flirt moreover; but to see him so appallingly knocked about because of a female — Lord, it blows my mind like nothing else did before!”