Chapter 29: The Earl of Stokeford Finally Confesses

Mr James Davis stood in front of the window of the small parlour and let out a grunt as he rubbed his left arm. At five and forty, he was still a remarkable man, with lithe figure and features not yet marred by age. His light brown hair, which was similar to that of his sister's, was still untouched by silver, and the fine pair of green eyes still held a youthful twinkle whenever he was amused. Everyone had expected he would remarry after the death of his wife some thirteen years ago; to their disappointment however, the widower was not in the mind of remarrying, for it was apparent that his devotion was solely for his daughter, his treasured collection of books, and his horses.

A deft sportsman, Mr Davis had always been complemented of having a good seat on his mount, and although his nature was free of conceit he secretly took pride in his prowess that added to his appeal to some interested ladies. But the fancies of these ladies were not in any way gratified, for although the gentleman could display his unaffected charm in the crowd, he did not indulge in the mildest of flirtations. Every one in the neighbourhood liked him well enough; admired him for being an affectionate parent to Miss Caroline, sometimes almost to the point of being overprotective which had amused some, and exasperated others, especially his sister. "Why, he could almost tie dear Caro to a bedpost!" Mrs Winscott had once said.

A frown crossed his thick brows as he glimpsed a gig far ahead, rolling along the drive that led to the front door. Lost in his own reflections, he did not hear Miss Moore behind him. The duenna, comfortably deposited on a sofa, was engaged in setting chess pieces on the board. "Mr Davis, are you agreeable for another game?" she asked again, a little loudly this time.

"What? Oh! Beg your pardon, ma'am. Why, you've set it already. Well, if you are, I'm game as well!" He strolled back to his own seat opposite Miss Moore. "You're a mighty companion for a lonely man, ma'am," he said appreciatively, "but you're dashed too clever by half as an opponent! Still, one loss is no great deal, and I'm not ready to give up just yet."

This tribute made her flush with pleasure but said depreciatingly that indeed, it was all luck, and that her skill in the game was not much at par with either of Mr Davis or dear Miss Caroline.

Mr Davis had already slipped into concentration and moved a pawn forward, but at this he looked up. He said, with a tinge of pride to his voice: "My little Caro's as bright as two female brains merged into one, I grant her that. Why, she has had a lot of practice with her dear papa — not that your humble servant's boasting, ma'am, but there! Fact is fact!" He grinned, but it was soon wiped away from his face when his opponent captured his knight. "Drat it, never saw that," he muttered and concentrated on the game again.

Miss Moore gave a delighted giggle. "My dear sir, do not despair yet. I wonder if Miss Caro's going home for dinner? She's always invited by Mrs Wiltkin to dine with them when she visits. The good lady seems taken with her, I believe."

Mr Davis snorted and remarked irritably: "Taken with Caroline? 'Course she is! What with that ramshackle son of hers always staring like a moonling at my Caro since she alighted from the coach the day of her return, and Mrs Wiltkin bombarding me with all fustian questions and false solicitudes, it's plain as a pikestaff that that silly woman's planning to make my daughter hers. I'm dashed if it ain't the case!" He dragged his bishop half-way across the board and seize an unsuspecting pawn. It was not a satisfactory move, and his countenance did not alter from its frown.

"Oh, no! I think Edinson Wiltkin is a fine young man, if somewhat a little too spirited. However, we must give allowances for boys of his age are almost all like that, don't you agree? I remember my younger brother was too wild at that age too, and always getting into one trouble after another. There was one time — "