-𝟒.

𝑫𝒂𝒊𝒔𝒚'𝒔 𝑷𝑶𝑽

I followed behind Huey into his house.

"Granddad, I'm home!"

"Granddad, Huey's gay ass is here." A boy with cornrows and slightly similar features to Huey appeared.

"Shut up, Riley."

"Who is you?" He asked and looked me up and down.

As I was about to answer, Huey stepped in front of me. "None of your concern. Come on, we're going upstairs to my room." Huey grabbed my hand and started leading me upstairs.

"Ohh, y'all gon' fuck." Riley snickered.

"Shut up, Riley."

We finally made it his room. Very neat.

He had MLK, Harriet Tubman, Huey P. Newton, Malcolm X, Angela Davis and many other black civil rights activists posters on his walls. His bookshelf was full and his computer desk was also neat.

His room reminded me of my own room, but his own was a little more old school.

I stood awkwardly in the corner of his room with my backpack still on my back.

"Take a seat." He sat around his computer desk.

"On your bed?" I asked weirdly.

"Yes, it's fine." He nodded.

I took slow strides to his bed and sat softly on the edge of it, with my backpack on the floor.

He pulled out a notepad and a pen. "So I'd think you'd want to talk about black history of course. What specifically did you want to talk about?"

My eyes lit up and I smiled. These types of things were what I loved to talk about. "Maybe we can focus on segregation, the way it affected the young African-American students and finally, when it was put to an end."

He scribbled down into his notepad. "That's a great topic actually, maybe in the form of a speech?"

"I like the way you think, Freeman." I smiled.

"Huey!" Someone called from outside of his room, followed by a knock.

Huey looked even more irritated. "Give me a minute." He got up and answered the door. "What is it Granddad?"

"Riley told me you had a little cutie pie up here, just wanted to see for myself." The older man was trying to peep into the room.

I smiled at the nickname he gave me.

"It's just someone from school, we're working on a presentation for history." Huey explained to him.

"You guys must be hungry, dinner just finished. You can join us for dinner, cutie pie." He waved before leaving.

Huey closed the door and sighed.

I giggled. "Your Grandpa is so cute."

"Don't let him fool you." He fixed up his desk. "You're gonna stay for dinner?" He started stretching.

I picked up my backpack. "Um, yeah."

🦋

"What's yo name?" Riley stared at me.

"Riley." Huey side eyed him.

"Shut up ,Huey McHater, I'm just asking a question." Riley rolled his eyes.

"Daisy Scott." I answered.

"Waaiittt, you that new girl from Florida?" His eyes widened.

"Yes sir." I nodded.

"You're nothing like Huey, the others say you act just like him." Riley dug into his food.

"The others?" I chuckled. "I feel like I'm being watched now, plus Huey and I only share similar interests."

"How are you enjoying Woodcrest so far?" Mr. Freeman asked.

"It's very nice. Strange people, but it seems nice."

"You're hot." Riley blurted.

"Riley." Huey smacked him upside his head.

"Riley, shut your damn mouth." Mr. Freeman started.

I laughed at the scene before me.

"Damn! We was all thinkin' it, if Huey ain't gon' say it. I will." Riley held his head.

After dinner, I grabbed my things.

"Thanks for dinner, Mr. Freeman, it was delicious and it was very nice meeting you and Riley."

"Come over anytime you want, cutie pie." Mr. Freeman smiled at me.

I smiled and walked out the house, it was already dark out.

I heard someone come out the house after me.

They held my hand and pulled me.

"Huey." I looked at him oddly as my feet moved with him.

"It's dark out and I'm following you home. I'll apologize to your mother for bringing you home late." He spoke without turning around to me.

I was stunned. A stupid little smile formed on my face. "Thank you, Freeman, you're really sweet."

Not too long after, Huey was knocking on my door.

The door opened quickly. "Daisy?" My mother's worried voice welcomed me.

I hugged her. "Hi mom."

"Oh dear, sorry for not calling." She hugged back. "And who is this?"

"I'm Huey Freeman, I live a few houses up. I go to school with Daisy and we were working on a presentation, sorry for bringing her home at this hour." He kept that serious face.

"Oh darling, it's okay. Thank you for walking her home, have a goodnight." Mom smiled brightly.

"You're welcome ma'am. Goodnight Scott." Huey nodded.

"Goodnight Freeman." I closed the door.

"He's cute." Mom said with that little tone in her voice.

I laughed as I made my way upstairs. "Mom!"

🧚🏾‍♀️