Chaos

Alexandra's P.O.V.

I wasn't entirely sure how I had found myself in the position that I was in. It had been nothing more than an ordinary day with my family and Henry, but things had gone south rather quickly. It was a common occurrence for the avian dinosaurs to break out of their habitats, but they would usually be recaptured before they reached the main part of the island. What wasn't anticipated was for several of them to escape, and many of them had gotten to the island. A warning siren had been set off, and as the creatures came into our sights, all park visitors scrambled to find shelter. I had gotten separated from my family and Henry, only stumbling across a panicked Alexander and hysterical Lilliana after ushering several people into a building.

With my luck, we ended up in the gift shop, which was almost entirely windows. I armed myself with one of the dinosaur printed bats as a Pteranodon crept in through the wide open door.

"Aunt Allie?" Lilliana panicked as I slowly stood up from where I was.

"Keep her quiet, Alex." I told her brother.

Alexander grabbed onto her as she tried to follow me, scurrying away from the open and hugging her tight to his body, his hand gently over her mouth. I could see others doing the same as me, armed with whatever kind of weapon they could use from the gift shop. The Pteranodon turned its attention to me as I stepped forward, the sound of my shoe hitting the tile floor under me echoing painfully. It screamed, causing me to flinch at the sound, and it pounced forward, flapping its wings to give it further distance. I held my arm up as protection, holding in the scream of agony I wanted to let out as its beak snapped shut around it, and I got a tight grip on the bat with my other hand before slamming it down on the creature.

I kept hitting it until it stopped moving, and I used the bat to push its body across the floor, leaving a blood trail as I moved it outside. I turned back to look at everyone else, all of them staring wide-eyed at me. I whistled, and Alexander lifted his head from his hiding place.

"Let's go get our family." I said. "Get a bat or two."

Lilliana ran to me as Alexander grabbed a two of the bats off of the wall. I bent down and let her get on my back, wincing in pain as I used my heavily bleeding arm to hold her in place.

"I can keep the little girl safe here." A mother said, clutching her own children to her body while she stared at Lilliana.

"My niece is my responsibility." I growled in return. "I'm not leaving her here with people who probably won't do shit."

"You're injured, and you're going to risk taking kids outside?"

"Lilly, what do you want to do?" I turned my head slightly to look at the child.

"I want to go with you!" She yelled, her arms tightening around my neck.

"Try and get her off me if you'd like. You'd just have a screaming toddler giving away your hiding place."

I pushed the door open with my shoulder, and Alexander hurried outside. Lilliana hid her face in my hair as I looked around, noticing several bodies laying on the ground. I wasn't entirely sure if the people were dead or not, but I didn't concern myself with it. I watched as Alexander dropped one of the bats, holding the other like he was about to hit a baseball. The loud sound of the bat colliding with the Pteranodon he smacked to the side had me internally praising the teen as the creature screeched and tumbled across the ground.

"I think I saw Uncle Henry taking the others that way." Alexander said, pointing toward the main building of the tourist plaza.

As we ran to the large building, Lilliana's scream and the loss of weight on my back sent fear through me. Alexander screamed his sister's name, and I turned to see her struggling in the grasp of a Dimorphodon. I immediately picked up one of the decorative rocks sitting underneath a large T-Rex skeleton, looking at Alexander for only a second before throwing it as hard as I could, pain ripping through my injured arm. Alexander sprinted in the direction of the rock, and the Dimorphodon let go of Lilliana as the rock hit it, sending the girl plummeting toward the ground. I didn't have the chance to see if Alexander caught her, several Pteranodon surrounding me.

~Henry's P.O.V.~

Silence enveloped the tourist plaza minutes after the warning sirens were set off. I was trying to keep all of the guests hiding in the main building calm, having to repeat myself several times as I told them to stay away from the glass windows and doors. After the entire building grew silent, I could hear the chaos outside. Screams and screeches merged together, and my heart dropped when I heard a name being yelled out.

"Alex!"

I stayed low to the floor as I made my way to the front of the building, sitting with my back against the wall and taking a deep breath before looking outside. I couldn't see her face, but I could recognize the brunette curls cascading down her back. One of her arms was heavily bleeding, a bat clutched tightly in the other. She side stepped slightly, and I could see Alexander's face perfectly on the other side of her, his sister in his arms and fear written all over his body as he tried to keep Lilliana away from the creatures that lurked around them.

"Everyone! Away from the front!" I yelled as I got to my feet. "Away from the glass! Get as far into the building as you can! Lock doors as you go!"

Everyone in the building scrambled to their feet and rushed away from me. I could see the panic in the eyes of Alexandra's family as they glanced outside, but Demetri pulled the other two away to follow the rest of the group. Once I was sure everyone had gone, I took a few deep breaths before throwing the front doors open, letting out a scream to get the attention of the creatures. My yell had also caused her to look at me, the frantic look of fear making my heart ache. I had gotten the attention of only a handful of the creatures, each screeching before making their way toward me. I closed the doors and held them in place as the creatures rammed into them, the glass breaking with each hit.

I felt the shards of the glass rain over me as the glass shattered, wincing at each new cut as it happened. I slammed my elbow into the glass of the window, watching it break and fall to the ground, and I kept my eyes on the creatures laying in the doorway as I stepped outside. The sounds of helicopter propellers filled the air before I saw them, and all of the unharmed creatures that circled the two I was trying to reach and save fell to the ground, darts protruding from their bodies. Men dawning full armor body suits dropped from ropes, rushing to search for any other creatures. As their guns aimed at the pile next to me, I made my was across the plaza, letting my legs carry me as I ran.

"I'm fine. I'm okay." She repeatedly whispered when I reached her. "Check them first. I'm fine."

I turned my attention to Alexander, who had tears rolling down his face as he held Lilliana to his chest. I couldn't hear the little girl's cries until I was close to them, and she looked at me as I crouched down in front of them. Alexander was unscathed, a bat laying beside him. Lilliana's clothes were bloodied, and she seemed to have minor claw marks on her shoulders. I placed a hand on each of their cheeks.

"You're safe now." I whispered.

Alexander fully broke down, hugging his sister to him as they both cried. I slowly got to my feet and turned to look at her. She had gotten down on one knee, using the bat as leverage to keep her body off of the ground. Her injured arm hung loosely at her side. I approached her slowly, getting down on my knees in front of her. With cloudy brown eyes, her gaze met mine.

"Henry?" The weakness in her voice as she said my name almost had me in tears.

"Let's get you looked at, Love."