Running Wild

Alexandra's P.O.V.

"Do you really think this is a good idea?"

"You wanted a closer look at them, didn't you? There are free ranging carnivores out there. This is the easiest and safest way to look at them without having to deal with the real monsters."

I stepped into the Gyrosphere and turned to look at Henry. He had a look of doubt and fear on his face. I smiled as I held my hand out to him.

"You trust me, don't you?" I asked.

It was as if I could see the gears turning in his eyes as he stared at my hand. It felt like a lifetime before he took my hand and stepped into the Gyrosphere. The ride operator closed his side of the Gyrosphere, and I turned on the manual driving as we settled into our seats.

"What exactly are we looking for, Doc?" I asked as I drove into the ride enclosure.

"Swiftscale is apart of a herd, isn't he? I'd like to see how he's integrated himself into it and if he's had any offspring with another."

"I'm going on a wild dino chase for Swift's herd? You better hold on for a while, Henry. Swiftscale doesn't exactly stay in place like a dog."

I did my best to make the Gyrosphere go at full speed without making the entire vehicle thrash around. Henry grabbed onto his seat a few times when the rocking got a bit out of hand. I slowed down enough to stop the vehicle, and I waited a few minutes while a group of Triceratops ran by. I looked at Henry when he held his hand to his chest.

"Feeling alright, Doc?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "You don't get motion sickness, do you?"

"No, I don't. I'm just having a heart attack right now." He croaked.

"I'm guessing you've never been up close to your creatures after they've fully grown."

"Not like this."

I reached over and laid my hand on his leg, running it back and forth to try and soothe him.

"They're herbivores, Henry. They won't do anything to try and eat us." I muttered.

I froze as soon as I heard the familiar loud and blood chilling roar of a carnivore. I looked over my shoulder to see a Giganotosaurus running across the open fields toward the migrating Triceratops. I panicked and immediately started driving, making Henry scream and grab onto his seat once more.

"What?!" Henry yelled out.

"Whatever you do, don't look behind us! It'll be better if you didn't!" I replied, speeding and weaving my way through the now stampeding Triceratops herd.

"Why? What's behind us?" Henry kept his eyes on me.

"There may or may not be a very hungry Giganotosaurus chasing after these Triceratops.....and us if it managed to spot us before I took off."

Henry's eyes widened, and I continued to weave through the stampede to try and avoid being seen by the carnivore that raced after us. Once we reached the outline of the thick forest, I left the herd of Triceratops to lose the carnivore entirely. I parked the Gyrosphere behind a thick tree and held my finger to my lips as I looked at Henry. I took his hand and squeezed it as hard as I could as the ground shook. I heard the Giganotosaurus roar once more as it ran after the Triceratops herd, and I took a deep breath as its footsteps and monstrous voice faded.

"Is it gone?" Henry whispered.

"For now." I muttered, and I looked down at the dashboard of the Gyrosphere. "That isn't our main problem right now."

Just as I finished speaking, the Gyrosphere's emergency lights and sirens kicked in. I immediately turned the Gyrosphere off to keep the sound from attracting unwanted attention.

"I used all the gas to avoid being trampled, and the Gyrosphere decided to lock up when I parked it." I muttered. "We're stranded out here with Dinosaurs that want to eat us unless we get out and start moving."

"You want to get out of this thing to go and face those creatures without any kind of gear or weaponry?" Henry asked in disbelief.

I managed to get my side of the Gyrosphere open, and I turned to look at Henry as I stepped out. I held my hand out to him and smiled.

"You trust me, right?" I asked.

He gave me a playful laugh as he took my hand, and I helped him get out of the Gyrosphere.