Genetic Bonding

Alexandra's P.O.V.

I stared at the packet of papers in my hands for several minutes. I had been gathering whatever information I could about Henry's top secret project, stockpiling everything he would tell me at different times until I could piece it all together. I absentmindedly chewed on my lip as I walked through the Genetics Lab.

"What are you staring at so intently?"

Henry's voice caused me to jump, and I dropped the packet. I sighed and bent down to pick it up.

"I'm sorry if I frightened you." He muttered.

"It's alright." I gave him a soft smile. "This is just a collection of information you've given me on your project. I've been trying to see if anything you've told me even fits together."

"Oh?" He tilted his head as he smiled, folding his arms across his chest. "You know you can always just ask to see the data for it, right?"

I looked at him. "But you said its classified information."

He shrugged. "I doubt you'd spread the word around before it needs to be."

He nodded his head in the direction toward his personal lab, and I hurried to follow after him. Henry's personal lab could only be accessed by him and his few assistants, along with anybody he allowed in. It was located behind a door that required a hand scan and a key card, and I was left in amazement as the door slid open. He almost always had the blinds drawn to cover the glass portion that looked into his lab, and I had only been inside it once. He led the way inside, and I was quick to step in before the door slid shut and locked behind us.

"You've never been in here, have you?" He asked.

"I've only been in here once. It was during my orientation, and we went on a tour of the facility and the rest of the park." I explained. "It didn't have so many beakers and machines during that time though."

He chuckled as he striped himself of his lab coat, draping it over a chair. I watched as he pulled the blinds back, revealing the perfect view of the rest of the genetics facility. I noticed that he had a clear look into my office directly from the main desk in the lab. I looked at him as he leaned back against one of the counters, moving as if he'd jump up and sit on the smooth surface.

 I looked at him as he leaned back against one of the counters, moving as if he'd jump up and sit on the smooth surface

"Mind blowing, isn't it?" He questioned.

"I've never imagined having access to so much equipment at once." I whispered.

"Would you like to make a dinosaur?"

The question took me by surprise. I had never been apart of the genetic splicing and incubation itself, only ever being present at hatchings and the nursery as the creatures Henry crafted matured.

"A dinosaur?" I had to repeat what he had said to be sure I had heard him correctly.

"Yes. It can be of any species you'd like. I'm sure I have enough DNA to construct any of them." He was incredibly calm as he spoke, as if making a dinosaur was an ordinary thing that he would discuss with anyone.

"Any species? Meaning you don't care if it's a carnivore, herbivore, or an omnivore?"

"Why don't you look through the DNA catalogue and figure out which creature you'd like?"

He motioned toward a three ringed binder that sat on one of the many counters. I walked over to it and started flipping through the numerous pages, each one depicting a different dinosaur. I paused on the page showing a Spinosaurus. Henry stood somewhat behind me, one hand on the counter and the other on my side.

"Spinosaurus?" He asked.

"Yeah." I muttered. "We don't have very many of them in the Gyrosphere Enclosure."

"They typically aren't well managed because of their aggression. The few we have were manipulated in order to better handle them." I looked at him as he spoke. "Behavior manipulation is incredibly difficult if it isn't successfully done during the DNA splicing process."

I momentarily forgot how to breathe once I realized how close we were, and Henry gave a small smile as he stepped away. He shoved his hands in his pockets as he walked over to what I assumed was a cold fridge, and he pulled the door open. He seemed to nitpick through several trays of test tubes marked with different animals and dinosaurs. I tilted my head as he began to pull out several different trays, placing them on one of the counters.

"Come and pick out which DNA strands you want. I have a few Spino strands left, and there are other animals that you can choose from to better control its behavior." He muttered.

I happily stepped over to the counter he stood at and looked over the test tubes. He set down an empty tray, and I quietly picked a few of the test tubes.

"It'll take a while for the incubation process." Henry said as he took the trays and placed them back into the fridge. "Is there a specific color you'd like the Spino to be? It'll be in a clutch of eggs, so there's going to a slight chance of one or two variations if the embryos fertilize."

"Blue, if that's possible." I muttered.

He grabbed a sticky note from the counter and very quickly scribbled something down, sticking it on the tray of DNA I had picked. He slid it into the fridge and closed it, looking at me as he smiled.

"Have I ever told you how godlike you are when you talk about DNA splicing?" I asked.

"No. I don't think I've ever been referred to as 'godlike'." He raised an eyebrow.

"You singlehandedly created nearly all of the dinosaurs in the park, not to mention all of the creatures that came before them in the other parks!"

Henry seemed amused as he stepped toward me and placed his hand on my shoulder. "Why don't we get to looking through that data I told you about?"