Cover Up

Alexandra's P.O.V.

"So, what exactly did you pull me away from the raptor enclosure for?"

"It's easier to see for yourself than for me to try and explain."

I raised an eyebrow as Henry effortlessly turned the vehicle down back pathway for workers toward the Gyrosphere exhibit. The sound of the gravel crunching under the wheels was a contrast to the sound of concrete. Blight's yip as we parked and got out made me look around, and she was quick to run to me. Her breathing, which was quick and silent, didn't seem to bother her as she rubbed her head against my side. Henry remained silent as we walked up to the backdoors of the employee building for the Gyrosphere exhibit. He held the door open for me and Blight, and the sound of it locking as it closed behind us echoed through the silent building.

"Henry?" I asked, turning to look at him.

"I'm going to warn you now. We aren't here to examine any of the creatures within the exhibit. An incident occurred, and many of the guests and workers were injured. A handful of workers were also killed." He stated.

"Isn't that a normal occurrence?" I asked. "InGen usually just sweeps it all under the rug and makes sure it doesn't get to the papers, right?"

"With something of this magnitude, it's going to take a lot more than money and a big name to cover up a massacre."

"Massacre? But you said a handful-"

Henry pushed open a door, and I gasped at the sight inside. Several guests and workers were coated in blood, complaining of pain and clutching different parts of their bodies. Missing limbs were haphazardly tossed into a handful of barrels pushed into the corner of the room, and body bags were piled up next to them.

"Well, shit."

~

"Alright! Sorry for the delay, but we'll be handling the situation as quickly and orderly as we can. Those of you missing only minor things like fingers and ears, please follow this gentleman here so that we may access your injuries accordingly. If you're missing only an arm, please follow this lady. After they are all seen, we will be asking for more of you to head back. For now, please try and stay as comfortable as possible."

I stepped out of the way as several guests and workers shambled toward the two workers who were mentioned, and I looked at Henry as he examined a fatally injured worker who had only just recently passed out from blood lose. Both of our lab coats had long since been stained with the red liquid that covered the walls and floors, along with the rest of the room's occupants. The sobbing of the women and cries of the children had faded minutes before.

"Please!" The scream caught me off guard and made me jump, and I turned on my heels quickly to see a woman clutching a small girl in her lap. "Wake up, Angeline!"

I was quick to approach the woman, and I put my fingers to the girl's neck, her head falling to the side and her mouth opening. Her pulse, which was faint, made me panic.

"Henry!" I called, gathering the girl in my arms.

He looked up from the man he was bent over, and he hurried to open a door that led further into the building. The woman followed behind me as I ran out of the room, thankful to be wearing non-slip shoes. I followed the bloodied footprints, and all eyes turned on me as soon as I pushed a door open with my shoulder, the girl still in my arms.

"Her pulse is dropping!" I yelled over the panicked guests within the room, gaining the attention of the medical staff.

A man stepped forward and took the girl from me, and I watched as they disappeared behind another set of doors. The woman was led to a different room by another woman, and I hesitated before I turned and made my way back to the main room. The halls were silent, and I paused as I got closer to the main room. Bloodied footprints littered the floor, and bloodied handprints were on the walls where victims had leaned against it. I looked down at my own hands, my skin stained red up to my elbows. My clothes would need to be burned later in the day, and I'd need a long shower or two before the blood would be completely scrubbed away from my body.

The door in front of me opened, but I didn't look up. I jumped ever so slightly when someone touched my shoulder, forcing me to look at who had approached me. Henry had a worried expression in his eyes, but his face was stone cold. His arms were coated in blood much like mine were, his lab coat a mess. I took a deep breath the longer we stared at each other, and I carefully brushed his hand off of my shoulder. I took a step closer to him and gave him a soft kiss before stepping around him and walking back into the chaos.

~

"Good work today. Sorry for dragging you two into the mess. I know this isn't a normal thing that you two would deal with, being scientists and all."

"I'm not a scientist."

"She's more a Behavior Analysist than anything."

I put my hand on my hip as the InGen employee, clad in a black suit and sunglasses, gave us a brief nod and walked away. I shrugged out of my lab coat, opting to drape it over my arm as Henry and I silently made our way to the Genetics Lab. We were both silent as we took the back walkways, avoiding having to step out into the open covered in blood.

"Head directly to the showers." Henry ordered as we approached the facility. "Don't stop and answer questions."

"Yes, Sir." I whispered.

"Come and find me when you're done. I'll most likely be in my lab."

"Yes, Sir."

He opened the door, and I hurried through the building to my employee locker. I was careful as I grabbed my spare clothing, and I stalked through the hallways to get to the facility showers. A few of the other scientists in the building all stopped to stare at me as I passed, but none of them tried to make me stop and talk. I passed Henry's lab on my way, and I caught a glimpse of him inside. He had shrugged himself free of his lab coat in one quick movement, and a few of his in-lab lockers were open.

I lost track of time in the shower as I scrubbed at my skin and turned the water red. I stayed under the running stream until my hair no longer released the pinkish bubbles when I'd use my shampoo, and I checked my body twice for any red stains before I shut the water off and stepped out. I dried myself off with one of the many towels within the shower rooms, and I got dressed in silence. I look in a mirror while I brushed my hair, opting to pull it back into a ponytail. When I walked by Henry's lab on my way back to my locker, the room was empty. Blight chirped as I went past the nursery, having been taken to it by a worker while I had busied myself with the wounded. I opened the nursery door long enough to let her out, quickly closing it before the hatchling dinosaurs could get out.

She was quiet as she followed behind me, sensing my growing unease as we made our way through the halls. I took my time rummaging through the binders and books within my locker, and I grabbed what I wanted before slamming it shut and heading to Henry's lab. He still hadn't returned as I scanned my hand and slid my badge in the ID reader, and Blight went to her moss bed without a sound as we stepped inside.