06. The Men by the Lake

The Men by the Lake

<Katia’s POV>

Just as he had been instructed to, Sam somehow used his genius skills to track down the closest family which matched our description- possibly the next family to be attacked by this demon and its Hellhounds- before our deadline came. Now- once we’d all collected the weapons suitable for this task- the three of us sat in Dean’s Impala whilst observing the house which matched the address we’d found.

For some reason, I couldn’t think of anything to say to even ease the worry which I felt; I knew whichever demon was committing these attacks would have information on my current situation, and it would probably use that information to get to me.

‘Dean, look,’ Sam announced quickly as he nodded in the direction of the house. Although the demand had been instructed to Dean, I also looked in the same direction.

A woman was walking towards a car, a baby bundled up in her arms. That was probably the wife, and the newborn child; now the man was being left a home by himself. ‘If the demon is planning on attacking here, it’ll probably be soon,’ Dean replied as he watched the woman climb into her small car.

In each of the deaths so far, no one had been with the victim as he was actually killed; each family seemed to show up too late, once the act had already been committed.

‘What are we going to do then? Just wait until something looks off in the house, or are we checking it out now?’ Sam questioned whilst looking to his older brother; I just stayed silent in the back seat whilst clutching the duffle bag which I’d put my own weapons into.

‘Wait,’ Dean answered. ‘If we go in now the demon might not show, no one was home with the victim as they were killed so we shouldn’t change that,’ he continued.

‘Okay,’ Sam replied simply. He then turned in his seat to look at me, ‘you okay?’

Instead of speaking, I just nodded with a fake, reassuring smile. All I wanted was for this hunt to be over with and for us to move onto something less personal.

                It was fifteen minutes later when Dean decided that we should make our move; apparently he had seen two figures through the window and “unless that poor bastards having an affair, he’s close to be attacked” he informed Sam and I. Immediately the three of us were out of the car and running towards the family home.

When we got into the hallway, which was decorated traditionally with photos of the entire family- most of them were pictures of the newborn child- the three of us parted ways in search of this demon which was no longer stood by the window.

I ended up going upstairs, following the muffled sound which was only just audible. Dean had taken the downstairs, indoor area whilst Sam had gone outside and towards the shed and garage. Unfortunately, I think I’d pulled the short straw and I was the one walking directly into the arms of this murderous demon.

‘Please,’ a voice choked from the room behind the closed door ahead of me. Unlike Sam, I didn’t have a demon killing blade or an angel blade like Dean; I did still have my Purgatory blade though, I’ve never tried it on a demon, but if it kills already dead creatures in Purgatory it’s got to at least injure the demon badly enough to save the poor victim.

The growls of the Hellhounds could be heard through the thick, wooden door; that noise alone had me trembling. The last time I had heard a vicious growl like that was when they were being aimed at me; I heard that ferocious growl as my body was torn apart.

Standing in the hallway, I had wasted enough time and now I actually had to help the poor man on the opposite side of the door. I was armed with a Purgatory blade and right now I looked untouchable (beside the broken wrist); to the demon on the other side I probably just looked like another chew toy for its demented pets.