14. The Missing Ingredient

The Missing Ingredient

<Katia's POV>

The beaming smile on Crowley's face was an image that would be permanently engraved into my mind; that smile was a sign that Crowley had won, that meant us Winchester were out of the game. Dean, Sam and I had been in some sort of race against Crowley; unfortunately he had been us to the finish line.

'My time's up,' I repeated the words that Crowley had spoken just seconds ago. Although I was staring directly at a demon, I couldn't focus properly on any of his features.

Crowley rubbed his hands together as he slowly drifted closer to me. 'Maybe we should wait until you brothers' return; watch the looks of horror fill their eyes as my hounds tear you to shreds,' the demon continued. He tried to put me into a state of terror, yet he was failing miserably.

'Maybe we should,' I agreed. My face, and voice, was dry of all emotion; I had prepared myself for what was coming over the last few months.

'But then again, maybe it'll just be better to let them return and see that you are already gone,' he continued to speak; the cunning smile remained on his face. 'They'll never forgive themselves if they know that they were a couple of hours too late.'

I nodded calmly. 'Whichever one suits you,' I muttered.

As I spoke, I was slowly inching myself towards a duffel bag that Dean had left behind; it contained all of our current ingredients for this deal breaker along with a couple of weapons that would protect me from Crowley's hellhounds for maybe a couple of hours.

'You're no fun,' Crowley huffed as he crossed his arms before turning back around and walking back towards the window. The second his back was turned I made a quick, silent dash to the duffel before snatching it into my possession.

As his back was still turned, I grabbed the tub of salt before sprinkling it into a large circle around my feet; luckily, the motel room had a carpet floor so there was no sound from the crystals hitting the ground. The demon was completely oblivious to the actions taking place whilst his back was turned.

'Maybe you could set your hounds on me when Dean and Sam arrive; that way they'll hear my screams yet they will be completely useless,' I announced once I had protected myself in the circle of salt; in my hand I held a bag of Goofer dust which Sam claimed would make the barrier harder to break through. .

'Good idea; you know what Katia, maybe you're actually going to make a good demon,' Crowley spoke. A smile was on his face when he turned to face me, that smile instantly dropped when saw me stood in a circle of salt. 'That's not going to protect you forever,' he muttered.

I watched Crowley's feet as he began to walk over to me; he was going to attempt to blow the salt away however I knew more than he did. The demon continued to get closer until he was abruptly stopped in his tracks.

'Do you really think I'd be stupid enough not to prepare a devils trap; you literally told me you were coming, I'm not dumb you know,' I muttered as I watched Crowley stare at the ground, and then the ceiling in surprise. Once I had told Dean and Sam about my run-in with Crowley, they had insisted that we pulled up the carpet and drew a devils trap beneath it.

'This isn't going to stop the hounds you know, they just need time,' Crowley responded calmly as he stepped back. 'They're always going to find a way in...'

If it wasn't for the fact that this situation was probably going to end in my death it would be quite funny. Both Crowley- a King of Hell- and I were trapped in a painted devils trap and a circle of salt; if house-keeping were going to make an appearance they would probably think the pair of us had gone crazy.