04. Demon Drop-In

Demon Drop-In

<Katia’s POV>

The Robertson’s family home was literally prepared for a zombie apocalypse or something; yesterday evening I had said night to Dean and Sam expecting them to crash at a motel for the night, the next morning I’d awoken to them both sleeping on two sofa-made beds in the basement. In this house there were so many spare beds and bed covers that you’d think Mrs Robertson was running her own hotel.

I only spared Dean and Sam a quick glance before continuing on my way up the basement stairs; the spare room- along with most of the bedrooms in this house- was situated on the long corridor coming off of the basement. Mrs Robertson was walking down the stairs as I made my way up them; we both exchanged “mornings” before continuing on our way.

When I got to the kitchen Mr Robertson was already up along with Curtis and Gregory who looked like they were preparing themselves to go deer-shooting.

‘Morning,’ I greeted with a friendly smile. Each person in the kitchen acknowledged my presence before continuing with what they were doing. Most people would think seeing someone loading a rifle in a kitchen was weird, to the Robertson’s- and now me- it was completely normal behaviour and I just ignored Curtis and Gregory as they both loaded two.

Curtis turned to me as I took a coffee mug from the kitchen cupboard. ‘What are you brothers’ still doing here?’ he asked me whilst finishing the final touches to the rifle before flicking on the safety and putting it on the ground.

‘I don’t have a clue; I told them to find a motel for the night but when I woke up they were just...there,’ I answered whilst flicking the coffee machine on.

As if on cue, both Sam and Dean- who were sleeping soundly a second ago- came strolling into the kitchen. Sam looked a little more apprehensive about wondering through a stranger’s house but Dean had already made himself at home as he leant against the kitchen counter.

‘You found a case or something?’ Dean questioned as he looked at Curtis and Gregory who had now traded their rifles for pistols.

‘No,’ Gregory responded quickly. ‘Curtis is teaching me how to shoot; got some targets in the yard and we’re going to go practice,’ he explained.

‘Awesome,’ Dean replied seeming genuinely impressed. ‘If you need a judge I’m all for watching,’ he continued; he’s literally a child trapped in the body of a grown man.

                Sam and I were seated at the kitchen counter whilst drinking cups of coffee; Dean had actually gone with Curtis and Gregory to shoot practice targets in the backyard.

‘I think I might’ve found something,’ Mr Robertson announced from where he was sat behind a lower kitchen counter. Since his hunting accident- which left him paralysed waist down- he’d put most of his effort into finding hunts that usually wouldn’t be spotted by your average hunter.

‘Yeah, anything interesting?’ I asked; although my left hand was still in a plaster cast I still wanted to be involved in whatever case had been found. Anything that could possibly lead me to the First Blade, I’d jump at the opportunity.

‘I’m not sure, take a look,’ he responded before sliding a newspaper in our direction.

Unlike Sam and Dean, who would jump at the chance to take on any case or hunt possible, Mr Robertson was very particular about the cases he choose to get his children involved with; anything that seemed too serious he’d leave for another hunter but the minor cases he’d allow either Curtis, Fletcher or Stephen- any of his children over the age of eighteen- to participate in.