Chapter 2:Prodigy

King was really tired. All he wanted to do was take a nap, or play basketball. He didn't even want to do his homework. He was looking forward to the end of the day, though, when the basketball team tryouts would start. He had only wanted to join because it was said by many people that Michael Walter was the best player in the city. Other than the basketball team, this university was such a yawn! When the bell finally rang at 3 o'clock, he ran as fast as could to the gym. He gaped at the inside as if he had never seen a basketball gym before. Everything was so shiny! Then he got bumped.

"Move it, would ya?" said the person behind him. He was nudging King to move.

"Give me some respect! I'm going to be the captain of the team!" King responded with a commanding tone.

"Well I am the captain of the basketball team so get in there, scrub!"

King froze. So that guy was the captain? He was the Michael Walter who everyone admired!

"Sorry, captain. I didn't know that it was you! I'm Earvin Brant, but most people call me King. I'm here to try out".

Michael laughed.

"So you're the kid that everyone talks about, eh? Show me why they call you King! You can't be a true king if you don't start as a peasant! He who suffers the most shall earn the most. Remember that and get over there! NOW!"

King stood up straight and gave him a mock salute.

"Yes sir! I will do that,sir! Listen, Michael, I know you're the best player on the team, but not anymore! I am going to be the king! Don't underestimate me!"

Then King went inside to join everyone else who were trying out for the team. The person beside him had streaks of red in his blue hair. He tapped King on the shoulder.

"Hey, what's your name? I'm Carl, Carl Allen."

King responded to him.

"Nice to meet you, Carl. My name is Earvin Brant, and people call me King."

Carl had a smile on his face.

"So you're the guy who Coach Auerbach told me about! He said you would be joining and convinced me to join!"

King answered him fast.

"Let's get on the team first!"

The first part of the trials were fitness. King was out of gas after running four 100-metre dashes. Alex Parker was recording how fast they could do it. Then, because there were perfectly five new people trying out, it would be a five on five between the seniors and the freshmans. In the end, they lost to the seniors by five points. Michael Walter and Jake Kidd sure were a great duo. Carl and King both did great, though. Carl made 6 three pointers out of 6 attempts which was eighteen points for him. King made 8 two pointers and 3 three pointers, ending up with 25 points. It was a great game and Coach Auerbach decided to let everyone on to the team. This was because the team didn't have enough players to not let players on the team. They needed all ten people so that they could win. King wanted to become the best player on the team. He wanted to be the league MVP. King will become the king!