Chapter 3: Sharpshooter

Carl used to play street basketball, until one day the name "Carl Allen" became a synonym for three-point shooter everywhere. People would say, "Hey, we need a Carl Allen on our team for the three on three!" and people would know that they needed a shooter. Many people came, asking him to join their team but Carl refused to. To him, the street was his home. Furthermore, unless that team is good, Carl doesn't even listen to the offers. That was until Coach Auerbach came. Unlike most of the people who came to persuade Carl, he didn't talk immediately. All he did was watch Carl play and shoot, he sat beside the wall and lit a cigar. Then he told Carl something that he still wouldn't forget after many years.

"Son, you know what this cigar means to me? Everytime my team is definitely going to win, I light a cigar. Everytime something joyful happens, I light a cigar. What they say is true. You are a sharpshooter. It's a waste of talent for you to only play on the streets. Don't you want to achieve something in life? Only a handful of people will remember you after a few years. Unless you want people to forget you, join my team. We're the Braves. If you're worried about how much talent we've got, don't fret, because we have Michael Walter, who is an All-State player, Jake Kidd, an amazing passer and we're going to have Earvin "King" Brant join us next season. Here's my card. Come to the tryouts only if you truly wish to start the journey of basketball."

Carl was shocked. He was moved by the old man's speech. He looked at the card as Auerbach walked away from the gym. Carl had never told anyone, but his dream was to make it to the NBA and join Curry, Iverson, Allen, Miller, and Lillard on the all time three-point list. He silently decided that it would be best if he joined the Braves. That way, if there were any scouts at the Braves' games, he would get noticed. Afterall, he does want to make his name known to everyone as the legendary sharpshooter that the NBA will see. He ran. He ran as fast as he could towards where Auerbach was headed to. When he found Auerbach he tugged him. Then he went on his knees and spoke to Auerbach.

"Coach Auerbach! Let me be on the team! I want to become known! I want to make it to the NBA! I promise you, that I'll come to the tryouts for the team! I promise that I won't be a disappointment to you! I promise that I'm going to do my best! I promise to become the guy who takes the buzzer beater! I promise you, sir! I promise you!"

Auerbach nodded at him and left. From then on, Carl would work on his game. He would work on his weaknesses and try to become one of the elite of the league. His name would never be forgotten.