Chapter 5: Trial

The first game for this season was against the reigning champion, the Penguins. The Penguins had ended up with a 63-7 record, which was a record win percentage in the 44 years since the league had been founded. Their best player was Scott Hayes, who had averaged 29.5 points per game and 9.8 rebounds per game. Scott Hayes was a power forward who was always matched up against Michael Walters. Their second best player was a great helper for Scott Hayes, and his name was Jackson Longley. He was their center and had averaged 20.3 points per game and 9.3 rebounds per game. The third player of the Penguins' trio was their small forward Dennis Grant. He only averaged 10.3 points per game, but he also averaged 11.3 rebounds per game and 10.5 rebounds per game. He was the only player in the whole league to average a triple double, just like Russell Westbrook. All three of their trio were All-Stars, making their team a team that were the favourites for the championship this year. The Braves were all ready, and they would be visiting the Penguins. When they were at the door outside the gym, they saw the Penguins, with Scott Hayes leading them. Michael stepped to the front of the line.

"Hello, Scott. Long time no see."

Scott Hayes was the type of person who was arrogant, but believed that he had the strength to justify his claims. He replied with a sneer.
"Well if isn't Michael and the Braves, the team that lost to us in the second round! You're gonna cry after you lose to us again!"

Michael just led the team into the gym. Inside the gym, colourful banners were everywhere, saying "Go Penguins", and many other messages. When the game started, the Penguins got the first ball and scored an easy three pointer. 3-0. Then, Michael led the Braves to a 10-2 run, resulting in the scoreboard changing to 10-5, Braves in the lead. When the first quarter ended, the Penguins had extinguished the lead and were tied with the Braves 27-27. Michael had 4 points while Carl had 9 points from his three three-pointers. King also added in 5 points. Jake already had 2 assists and made one of two free throws. For the Penguins, Scott led their team in points, being the first to have double digits with 12 points. Jackson and Dennis each had 7 points. The remaining point came from a free throw. Before the second quarter started, Coach Auerbach told the Braves to initiate BOX-1, and it was quite successful. The Braves led by 10 points when it was halftime, making it 58-48. Unfortunately for the Braves, the Penguins initiated a counter-strategy to limit the Braves' offense. The third quarter ended at 76-69, Braves in the lead. The Penguins were especially fierce in the fourth quarter, and with 3 seconds remaining, the score was 103-101, Penguins with the lead. Jake was conflicted, because he didn't know who to pass to. King, Carl, and Michael were all looking for the ball. They were all covered, so Jake tried to take the three-pointer. It bounced on the rim two times and then spinned around. Then it rattled out. The final score was 103-101, and the Penguins had won.