Chapter 19: Jevon's Game!

Both teams lined up on their side of their court, ready to win the game. Game 1 was very important, as it could be the start of a string of victories for one team. At jump ball, Michael lined up with the Gators' centre, Dario Zampa. Michael wished Dario good luck, and Dario nodded. Michael was slightly shorter than Dario, but since he had a higher vertical, Michael grabbed the ball and passed it to Jake to open up the first quarter. Jake dribbled the ball around the three-point line, defended by Jevon, and passed under Jevon's legs to King, who made a jump shot over his defender. 2-0. Jevon was covered by King, but it did not stop him from getting the halfcourt pass from M.D. Poltor. Jevon used a fancy behind the back move when King tried to steal the ball. King got caught off balance and fell. Thump. Jevon stepped behind the three point line and drained the three.

"Jevon Lee with the 3!! Over the king!"

The announcer loudly chanted.

3-2.

King just stared at Jevon. Michael passed the ball to Carl, and Carl passed it back to him as they dribbled the ball towards the Gators' side. Carl passed to Jake, knowing that he would be able to make the most out of his pass, and then he quickly positioned himself near the corner. Jake passed to Michael, defended by Harry Lund, and Michael started a post-up on Harry. Michael used a spin move to get past Harry but saw Dario in front of him so he passed to Carl for a three-pointer. Swish.

5-3.

Dario dribbled the ball to half court, and passed to Harry. Harry was defended by Michael, and was soon overwhelmed. Harry quickly passed to Jevon, who was defended by Carter. Jevon went for a step-back three and got an and-one. 6-5, while Jevon has one free-throw. Jevon dribbled it twice on the line and then threw it at the backboard as hard as he could. Only Michael realized that Jevon wanted to dunk and attempted to grab the ball. Jevon and Michael soared but Michael was the one who got the ball. Knowing Michael, Jake had already ran down to halfcourt, and Michael did a halfcourt pass and Jake caught the ball. There were two defenders behind him, but Jake was fearless. Jake drove to the basket and layed it in.

7-6.

The Gators' coach Rick Lin called a timeout.

"Jevon, I know that you wanted to score two but Michael Walters is one of the best rebounders in the league! You should know better than that!"

Jevon just shrugged.

"Chill, coach. Next play, I bring up the ball, pass to Harry, Harry posts up on Michael, Harry passes to Dario who is also in the paint, and then Dario passes to me, who's open. 'Kay?"

Coach Lin agreed and let his team back on. The Braves didn't communicate at all, but they switched Carter off for Tony, their usual sixth man before Akira joined. Tony could play power forward, so they just switched Carter to centre. After a few more possessions, in which he made some flashy shots, Jevon managed to have 20 points, scoring his whole team's points. It was 20-15, with the Gators leading when the first quarter ended.

"This is Jevon's game!" the announcer announced.