Chapter 5

Noah wasn't in class the entire day. Charles seemed to notice too, but he didn't mention it. After our last class, I felt worry really set in. Had something happened? Was he avoiding me? Was it my fault for snapping at him at the hospital? My mind was spinning. 

"I hope the lacrosse team didn't get to him," Charles muttered under his breath as we walked. Kiera had classes separate from us, so it was only us two, and we could talk freely. It felt weird, like we had a dirty secret only the three of us shared. Well, two, since Noah wasn't anywhere to be found. 

My chest constricted. "you don't think they would do anything, right?" 

"If high school athletes bully kids, why not college students?" he shrugged. "It's not like we all miraculously grow up in the summer between." 

I decided not to mention that I had never been to high school, or that my only experience with other kids consisted of the hospital and now. "Shouldn't we..." I trailed off, because I didn't know what exactly we should do. 

"Let's not jump the gun yet," he said. "If he doesn't show up after dinner, we can go look. For all we know, he ditched class. Maybe he's getting faded in his room." 

"Faded?" 

Charles held two fingers to his lips and pretended to blow. "Weed." 

"Oh." My cheeks flushed. I really wasn't good with lingo. I was grateful that Charles didn't seem to take much notice of my complete lack of awareness for slang. 

"Where's Kiera anyway?" 

"She has a night class  I think," I mumbled. 

Dinner went by painfully slow, both Charles and I silent as we kept an eye out for Noah. It made complete sense if he decided to ditch class. In any other circumstance, I wouldn't bat an eye. He was a trouble maker, dangerous, and he knew my secret. At the same time, he punched Charles for me. He was possibly in trouble because of me. I didn't know what his intentions were towards me. All these unknowns formed a large knot in the pit of my stomach, so I waited for Charles to finish his food, not touching mine. 

"He still hasn't appeared," Charles muttered as we walked back to the dorm. "You don't think they dumped him somewhere right? Lacrosse dudes are scary." 

Another lump formed in my throat. "M-maybe he's just sleeping. At the dorm." 

"I hope you're right." 

"Should we check?" I asked softly. I wasn't sure what the protocol was for dorm visits. The dorms were coed and it seemed fairly lax on gender rules. The movies I watched didn't seem to show regard for genders either, so surely it was okay? 

"I normally would, but..." he pointed to the shiner on his eye. "I don't want another one of these." 

"Oh." I could help but feel disappointed. I tried to keep my shoulders from sagging. 

"You can if you want though," he offered. "He's in 304." 

My eyes widened. "By myself?" 

"He saved your life, it's not like he will hurt you," he said, a small smile teasing his lips. "You think he will try and make a move?" 

My face burned a furious hue of red. "N-no!" 

He laughed. "Well, no pressure. You know where he is if you want to check." 

Charles waved as he headed down the hall towards his dorm. He was on the second floor. Kiera and I were also on the second floor. I glanced at the stairs. Surely it wouldn't be weird if I checked, right? I was just a normal concerned classmate... I was trying to show my gratitude for the night before. Nothing else.