Chapter 40

TW:// explicit sexual content

"Miss Fay! Miss Fay!" 

I barely had time to look up to see my assistant barreling towards me with fear in her eyes. I, however, stood calmly. As much as I adored the elderly woman, I long had learned she was one for dramatics. "Yes, Genevieve?" 

"Mr. Pierce is here with new children," she spoke in one breath. 

"Noah is?" I was already rounding my desk and making my way towards the door. "Are they injured?" 

"The nurses left for the day," she rushed, anxiously trailing my side. "The police station didn't say anything about new kids, we haven't prepared any beds!" 

I couldn't help the familiar warmth that spread through my chest when I saw Noah at the door, two teens in tow. He held both of them tightly, as if they were flight risks. They probably were. 

"Ran away from home, caught them huddled under a bridge," he said. "Girl is maybe sixteen, boy is about 10." 

"I'm twelve," the boy gruffed, which earned a glare from the girl. 

"No names?" I asked the kids directly. The boy had wide, doe eyes, and though both he and his sister were covered in filth, boney and cut up, I noticed one small dimple when he pressed his lips in a tight light. 

"We're not telling you shit," the girl spat at me. Noah's irritation spiked, but I warned him against acting out with a look. "You can't make us go back there." 

"I can understand why you are scared," I started, but she turned away and refused to look at me. "It may be hard to believe, but I won't force you to stay or go anywhere." 

She scoffed and gestured to Noah holding their arms. "All cops do is lie." 

"Hardly a cop," he grumbled, but released them when I gave him a look. The girl seemed surprised by his actions, as if she wasn't sure how to proceed. 

"If you don't want to stay here, you don't have to. But," I said, "At least shower and get some clean clothes before you go. It's way too cold for you to be wandering like this." 

I noticed the boy sniff the air, eyes wide as he recognized the smell of the stew in the kitchen. He glanced at his sister with his puppy eyes, but immediately looked at the floor when she glared back. However, I knew even the girl was hesitating at the prospect of clean, warm clothes. 

"We also have some leftover stew, though it doesn't taste as good reheated," I offered. "We also aren't connected with the police, though they do send kids here as refuge from time to time." 

"What's the catch?" she snarled. "Get us all comfortable and ship us off to foster care?" 

"Miss Fay!" I overheard some of the girls calling. I turned to see them holding a soccer ball, waving me over. 

"I'll be over soon, girls, go get washed up before you get sick," I called back. 

"Who're they?" the boy blurted despite the hiss from his sister. 

Instead of correcting the sister, I gave the boy a small smile. "Everyone here has something they're running from. Here we just provide the resources and community. You all can leave anytime you choose, we aren't the foster system. No cops are going to chase after you here." 

"He's a cop." 

I laughed when she gestured to Noah. "Hardly," I said fondly. 

Noah scoffed. "I got a uniform," he pouted. "I'm official." 

The kids seemed stunned at our casual banter, completely speechless. My heart ached, wondering what hell they had been through before Noah scooped them off the frozen streets. It wasn't the first time Noah had brought kids to the haven impromptu, and it wasn't going to be the last. He knew I would take care of them, since we built the haven together.