Chapter 12

"Promise me something," Noah said, holding my hands gently.

"What?" 

"This moment here. Let's not pretend it didn't happen tomorrow." 

"What do you mean?" 

"I mean," he gave me a small, reassuring smile, tucking hair behind my ear. "From now on, let's confide in each other. When you're hurting or feeling down, I want you to come to me." 

"Why?" I narrowed my eyes. "You hate me." 

"I've never hated you." 

"Why now? Why do you want to get to know me? What's the catch?" I went to pull my hands away, but he wouldn't let go. I felt bile rise in my throat. 

"If I wanted to hurt you, don't you think I would have by now?" 

I avoided Noah following our unfinished conversation. I wasn't sure what to make of his sudden behavior change. Was he pitying me because I cried? It didn't seem like Noah's character to pity people, though. That didn't change the fact that he was a complete mystery to me. 

Who was Noah Pierce exactly? Why did he pick fights with other students? Why was I seemingly the only person he ever talked to? What were those scars on his torso? My brain was filled with a million questions, and right when I was close to answering one, a million more appeared. The unknown was a dangerous thing; you never know what monsters are lurking when you can't see. 

"Earth to Fay. You good?" Kiera pulled me out of my trance. "You look kind of pale." 

"I'm fine," I murmured, forcing a smile. "Just a bit stressed. Our midterm scores come out soon." 

"I'm sure you did fine. You studied harder than any of us," she encouraged. 

Kiera seemed so kind, it almost convinced me to truly confide in her. To tell her the truth about my background, my mother, Noah, the phone call... But I also couldn't bring myself to. No matter how kind she seemed to be now, that same kindness wasn't guaranteed if she found out who I really was. 

Strangely enough, Noah seemed to be the only one who understood me. I wasn't sure if that was scarier. 

My phone buzzed, stopping me in my tracks. Part of me feared it was my mother trying to call me again, but I soon felt a smile play on my lips the second I saw the familiar digits. "Hello?" 

"Fay? It's Nurse Lucy," her voice felt like a warm wave of comfort. "How is college? How have you been?" 

I gestured for Kiera to go ahead without me before responding. "It's good. I have a roommate, she's really nice." 

"That's great! So... are you having any problems?" 

I stalled. Did she know about the phone call? Or did she suspect Noah? No, she couldn't possibly know about Noah. "Everything is good," I lied, then added a little more quietly, "No one knows I'm different." 

"I'm glad, Fay, I truly am," she spoke warmly. "I just wanted to check up, make sure everything is okay. You would tell me if something was wrong, right?" 

Guilt hit me. "Of course. Is something wrong?" 

"Ah, well, I'm sure it's nothing, but there was a momentary security breach where they are keeping your mother. It's nothing serious so I don't want you to panic, but if she tries to contact you for any reason, you know to call right?" 

"Of course," I lied again, feeling bile in the back of my throat. "I-uh I have to get to class." 

"Okay, Pumpkin, be careful alright? You got this, you can do it," she said.