Part 12

As they entered November, the weather turned very cold. The mountains around the school became icy grey and the lake was like chilled steel. Every morning the ground was covered in frost. Hagrid could be seen from the upstairs windows defrosting broomsticks on the Quidditch field, bundled up in a long moleskin overcoat, rabbit fur gloves, and enormous beaverskin boots.

The Quidditch season had begun. On Saturday, the first match after weeks of training: Gryffindor versus Slytherin. If Gryffindor won, they would move up into second place in the house championship.

Neville didn't even want to see a broom after the first flight fiasco, but he was still open to supporting his house.  

 It was really lucky that Neville now had Hermione as a friend. He didn't know how he'd have gotten through all his homework without her, what with all the last-minute Quidditch practice Wood was making them do. She had also lent him Quidditch Through the Ages, which turned out to be a very interesting read. But he would need a person running under him with a   mattress, to even consider it.

Hermione had become a bit more relaxed about breaking rules since  Neville, Vivienne and Ron had saved her from the mountain troll, and she was much nicer for it. The day before the first Quidditch match the four of them were out in the freezing courtyard during the break, and she had conjured them up a bright blue fire that could be carried around in a jam jar. They were standing with their backs to it, getting warm, when Snape crossed the yard. Neville noticed at once that Snape was limping. Nevill, Ron and Hermione moved closer together to block the fire from view; they were sure it wouldn't be allowed. Unfortunately, something about their guilty faces caught Snape's eye. He limped over. He hadn't seen the fire, but he seemed to be looking for a reason to tell them off anyway. 

"What's that you've got there, Longbottom?"

It was Quidditch Through the Ages. Harry showed him.

"Library books are not to be taken outside the school," said Snape. "Give it to me. Five points from Gryffindor. "

"He's just made that rule up," Neville muttered angrily as Snape limped away. "Wonder what's wrong with his leg?"

"Dunno, but I hope it's really hurting him," said Ron bitterly.

They looked back to see Vivienne reading a book about advanced Potions, and they made up their minds that he is just looking for problems.

They usually do their homework in the library since Vivienne can not come into the Gryffindor common room. Hermione was checking Harry and Ron's Charms homework for them. She would never let them a copy ("How will you learn?"), but by asking her to read it through, they got the right answers anyway. It is because they copy out of Vivienne's book, Neville saw such good penmanship in his life. 

He made his way down to the staffroom and knocked. There was no answer. He knocked again. Nothing.

Perhaps Snape had left the book in there? It was worth a try. He pushed the door ajar and peered inside - and a horrible scene met his eyes.

Snape and Filch were inside, alone. Snape was holding his robes above his knees. One of his legs was bloody and mangled. Filch was handing Snape bandages.

"Blasted thing," Snape was saying. "How are you supposed to keep your eyes on all three heads at once?"

Harry tried to shut the door quietly, but --

"Longbottom!"

Snape's face was twisted with fury as he dropped his robes quickly to hide his leg. Harry gulped.

"I just wondered if I could have my book back. "

"GET OUT! OUT!"

Neville froze he remembered when he falls, as Snape stood their standing haunting ant a thought came into his head 

Did Snape hex my broom? 

Neville fled. 

  Neville left before Snape could take any more points from Gryffindor. He sprinted back to the library.