Part 13

Neville was mad at Draco he somehow managed to be recurring nuances in his life Ron were walking in Hogwarts when an unpleasant visitor walked up.

"Ah look the fool who is allergic to Brooms," he said Crabbe and Goyle laugh as if they heard the greatest joke. Ron and Neville just trade an unimpressed look. 

"What with the long face, what Vivienne start ignoring you," he said. Neville had all his spite to slap him across the face.  "You're a lot braver now that you're back on the ground and you've got your little friends with you," said  Nevile coolly. There was of course nothing at all little about Crabbe and Goyle, maybe their brain.

"I'd take you on anytime on my own," said Malfoy. "Tonight, if you want. Wizard's duel. Wands only, no contact. What's the matter? Never heard of a wizard's duel before, I suppose?"

"Of course he has," said Ron, wheeling around. "I'm his second, who's yours?"

Malfoy looked at Crabbe and Goyle, sizing them up.

"Crabbe," he said. "Midnight all right? We'll meet you in the trophy room; that's always unlocked. "

When Malfoy had gone, Ron and Neville looked at each other.

"Why a wizard's duel?" said  Neville

"Well, I am your second I will take over if you die," said Ron casually, getting started at last on his cold pie. Catching the look on  Neville's face, he added quickly, "But people only die in proper duels, you know, with real wizards. The most you and Malfoy'll be able to do is send sparks at each other. Neither of you knows enough magic to do any real damage. I bet he expected you to refuse, anyway. "

"We can't tell the girls," Neville stated 

Ron said "Obviously between Hermione's lecture and Vivienne's death glare we will be dead,"

  "And what if I wave my wand and nothing happens?"

"Throw it away and punch him on the nose," Ron suggested.

"Excuse me. "

They both looked up. It was Hermione Granger. They paled dramatically if Hermione knows it is only a matter of time before Vivienne knows, Neville shutter at that glare. 

"What were you thinking," she said.

"He came up to us," Ron said 

"But still it is stupid," Hermione said 

"Ok, we won't go, Hermione," Ron said 

"Promise," Hermione said 

"We promise," Ron said she looked at Neville who curtly nodded

Hermione sighed "Ok I am going to the Library," she walked away 

"So we aren't going anymore?" Neville asked.

"We are," Ron said, 

"But we told Hermione we aren't," Neville said 

"So she will get out our hair," Ron explained. Neville rubbed his shoulder. "Come on Neville if we back out now Draco will never shut up," Neville shuttered at the thought. 

All the same, it wasn't what you'd call the perfect end to the day, Neville thought, as he lay awake much later listening to Dean and Seamus falling asleep. Ron had spent all evening giving him advice such as "If he tries to curse you, you'd better dodge it because I can't remember how to block them. " There was a very good chance they were going to get caught by Filch or Mrs Norris, and Neville he was pushing his luck. On the other hand, Malfoy's sneering face kept looming up out of the darkness, this was his big chance to beat Malfoy face-to-face. He couldn't miss it.

 "Half-past eleven," Ron muttered at last, "we'd better go. "

They pulled on their bathrobes, picked up their wands, and crept across the tower room, down the spiral staircase, and into the Gryffindor common room.  They crept out Neville felt slightly bad for not telling Hermione the truth.