Chapter 7: The Sorting

"FIRST YEARS! FIRST YEARS O'ER 'ERE!"
Boomed the familiar voice. I started walking towards him, Harry and Ron ending up next to me during the commotion. We reached the towering man.

"Hey Hagrid." said Harry.
"Hello Hagrid." I smiled as I remembered my first meeting with the kind man.

"Harry. Y/n. Doing alright there?" Hagrid looked down at us smiling.

"Woah!" Ron exclaimed at he looked up at Hagrid. I couldn't help but giggle a little.

Once the rest of the first years gathered around, Hagrid led us to a lake with a bunch of little boats.

"Four to each! Now now, don't dawdle!" Hagrid boomed once more.

Harry, Ron, and I climbed into a boat together and then Hermione joined us. As soon as the rest of the first years were all in boats, they started moving forward. As we passed a corner, a magnificent, beautiful castle greeted us.
Hogwarts.
It was more beautiful then I thought.

We all climbed out of the boats once we reached the castle and went up a hall. There we were met by a stern looking witch.

"Here are the first years, Professor McGonagall." Hagrid said to the witch. She gave him a smile and a nod. Then Hagrid left.

So this is the elusive Deputy Headmistress.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," said Professor McGonagall. "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room. The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rulebreaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours. The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting. I shall return when we are ready for you. Please wait quietly." She left the chamber.

Everyone started talking all at once.

"How exactly do they sort us into houses?" Harry asked looking a little worried.

"There's some sort of test. I was told that there is supposed to be a hat involved." I said. Kingsley had given told me this during one of our conversations."

Harry started to relax.

"Move along now," said a sharp voice. "The Sorting Ceremony's about to start."
Professor McGonagall had returned.

Here we go!

We all moved to the double doors leading to the Great Hall. We moved in a sort of line as we walked through the doors and past four big tables. One for each house, as I could see. I looked at the ceiling. Just like the book said. The stars were shining, just like how they were outside.

I saw the twins and they waved at Harry, Ron and I. I flashed them a quick smile and then we were right in front of another big table, but full of what I assume are the teachers and the headmaster himself. I saw a picture of Professor Dumbledore in a book. So I recognized him right away. He had a soft twinkle in his eyes and he was smiling.

This was him. The man who changed my life forever.

Professor McGonagall silently placed a four-legged stool in front of us. On top of the stool, was a pointed wizard's hat. This hat was patched and frayed and extremely dirty.