Chapter 16: Realization and Apologies

Song recommendation
Stressed Out by Twenty One Pilots
Slower by Tate McRae
Think before I talk by Astrid S
Apologize by OneRepublic

I walked into the Great Hall. I don't know what to feel. I guess I'm mad and sad. Mad at Harry and Draco for bringing me in the middle again. Sad because of what Draco said to me a few seconds ago.

Although I have only known Draco for almost a month, I had felt close to him. Almost like best friends. We've talked so much about everything that we might as well have known each other for a year. But the way he didn't care about anything a second ago hurt.

That was the Draco that Harry and Ron knew. The jerk, the privileged bully. I never thought I would be on the receiving side.

I want to scream and yell and hex the crap out of him. But he's not only a bully. He is also a sweet, protective, caring boy. A boy that I've grown to care about and become close friends with. I can't bring myself to accept that that boy, is the same person who spoke to me with such malice a second ago.

I sit next to Hermione, completely lost in the moment. Everyone around me is talking and eating. I'm just staring at the empty plate in front of me, blocking out everyone around me.

I snap out of my thoughts when I feel a hand on top of mine. I look up to my right, and sitting there, is Harry, looking at me with a sorry expression on his face.

"I- um," he stammers, not knowing what to say, "I'm sorry about what happened." He finally says, giving my hand a squeeze.

I nod. I don't know what to say. But then I hear myself ask a question. "Was that the Draco you know?"

Harry stiffens as he looks at me. "Yeah, it is."

I turn to look at the plate once again. My mind is blank.

"Look, Y/n. I know that you're used to Malfoy acting different, but the person you saw just now is the real him. He didn't hesitate to hurt you. He doesn't care about you." Harry said matter of factly.

"You're wrong." I choked out. "He's not just a mean person. He is sweet and caring too. He's my friend." I don't know why I'm defending Draco. He treated me horribly, but there was something nagging at me in the back of my head.

For a moment during the fight, he looked sorry. Draco's face looked sad just before he said he pretty much didn't care. He did care. And I want to prove it.

Harry snapped me out of my thoughts once again.

"If he's your friend, then why did he yell at you? He didn't care about you at that moment and he hurt you. I'm sorry Y/n, but I'm not going to give him another chance to hurt you."

I looked Harry in his eyes. His usually bright spring green eyes were now a murky dark green. He was mad. But not at me. At Draco. For hurting me.

Harry had a point. Draco still hurt me. It would not be smart to go running back to him. Harry was going to make sure that I didn't.

My stomach had a funny feeling. Harry truly cared deeply for me. I'm extremely happy knowing this fact.

I lean my head on Harry's shoulder. "You're right. Thank you Harry. I feel better."

Yes, Harry was right. But I'm stubborn. I'm not giving up on Draco that easily.

✨✨

Draco's POV:

I'm furious.

I'm mad because Y/n is a Gryffindor this week. I'm mad because of the way I treated her for it. I'm mad at Potter for butting in, and I'm mad that Y/n is turning to Potter for comfort.