Chapter 14: Hufflepuff and Accomplishments

I stood waiting outside the Great Hall. It's Saturday night. Time to switch to Hufflepuff. Professor Sprout came out of the Great Hall and saw me waiting.

"Have you been waiting long Miss Y/l/n?" Sprout asked with her heavy, joyous accent. I've actually noticed that I've been developing an accent as well. All that time hearing everyone's accents has made be in a way, copy them, subconsciously.

"No I haven't. Just a couple of minutes. It was actually nice getting out of the Great Hall. Got some peace and quiet." Professor Sprout started walking and I followed. We went into a hall next to the Great Hall.

"Ah yes. You've been practicing I presume? I'm sure you're not enjoying it at all."

"You're correct. Although I'm getting closer to controlling it. Just some more practice and I should be free." A few turns here and there, a staircase later, and we stopped in front of a wall of huge barrels. The lids were facing towards us.

"Where are we?" I don't recognize this corridor. We went down some stairs so I'm guessing we are in a basement of some kind, but it's not dark and gloomy like the dungeons. It's actually warm and full of light down here.

"We are in the basement, close to the kitchen corridors. We actually passed the kitchens a little while ago. Remember that big painting of a bowl of fruits? Well if you tickle the pear, it'll turn into a door leading to the kitchens." Professor Sprout explained proudly.

"And who works in the kitchens?" I've only known about the teachers and then there was Filch. Who else worked here at Hogwarts?

"House elves. You'll learn about them later." Sprout said after seeing my confused face.

"Well let's get you to the Hufflepuff dorms. Do you see the barrels here? You knock on he middle barrel to the rhythm of Helga Hufflepuff, like this." She knocked on the lid of the barrel in the middle while saying "Hel-ga Huf-fle-puff". At that, the huge lid swung open like a door. She motioned for me to step through. I did. There was a small passageway. At the other end of it was another large circular door like the barrel lid. I pushed it open and stepped through.

The common room was like a huge round dome. It was warm, welcoming, and sunny. There were so many potted plants that decorated the room along with yellow hangings and burnished copper. There were overstuffed sofas and armchairs upholstered in yellow and black. On the walls were circular windows that provide a view of the grass and dandelions outside. There was also a honey colored wooden mantle piece with carvings of badgers on it. Below the mantle was a fireplace. And above the mantle piece was a portrait of a woman. She was blonde and had a warm smile. My only guess is that she was Helga Hufflepuff. Above on the low ceiling was a huge lamp that almost seemed like the sun in some way. As it was getting dark out side and the sun was setting, a part of the lamp was slowly but surely turning into a silver color. Like the moon.

It was beautiful.

"Your dorms are this way." Professor Sprout snapped me out of my thoughts. She led me through a tunnel like hall. There were many circular doors. She opened the one marked like the others, 1st Years. She opened the door and saw my trunk at the foot of a bed. Except these beds were different. They were half set into nooks in the wall. There were yellow curtains coming forward and draped off the bed. Next to the beds were shelves and drawers in the wall for each student.

"I'll leave you to it then. Welcome to Hufflepuff Y/n." Professor Sprout left.

Venus was sitting on some empty shelves next to my bed. I once again put my basic necessities and belongings on the shelves, my Hufflepuff robes were already folded in the shelves for me.