Chapter 5

Lucy wasn't sure when everything changed. Maybe it was when Natsu's girlfriend, Lisanna, came into the picture. Or perhaps it was when they broke up. Or when his father died. Or maybe things haven't even changed, and it was just her imagination. No. Things have changed. They weren't like the way they used to be. But, nothing was physically different. They still were together 24/7, in fact even more so than last time since Natu's tragic breakup with Lisanna and his now clingy behavior. They always walked to school every morning. They still walked back home with each other when school ended. 

So what changed? 

It was more so the accidental eye gazing, the weird heart pounding that Lucy felt when she was alone with Natsu, and the awkward pauses that happened when their bodies ended up too close after their numerous tickle fights. So it was confirmed that things did change, but why? Why did things change? Why now? Why did butterflies flutter around in her stomach, with no regard to her feelings? Why did she not understand what was happening to her? He was still Natsu. And she was still Lucy. 

So, what happened? 

What made her suddenly feel so flustered around Natsu?

. . . . . .

Natsu wasn't sure when everything changed. Maybe it was when he was still dating Lisanna, or perhaps it was when his father passed away. He knew in the back mind of his mind that something happened, but he just couldn't put his finger on it. He knew it wasn't anything physical and that it was in mind and all that stuff. Because he just couldn't see it. (Okay, maybe he could, but he just didn't want to admit it.) He and Lucy were still best of best friends. He still clung to her whenever he could. 

They still were partners for every project for school. (Even the assigned ones because even the teachers knew that if they paired Lucy and Natsu with anyone else, they were in for a disastrous amount of fire and mischief.) And he still came over for their weekly sleepovers on the weekend. (His father used to swear that Natsu went over there more than to his own house.)

So what changed? It was more of the sweaty palms he had around her or the dragons that were having a war in his stomach! Or the slight hesitancy that he had when he was about to hug her. Or maybe the "too" long hugs that they shared daily. Or perhaps it was the longing gazes that he would accidentally look at her with when they were in class or any time when she wasn't paying attention to him.

Natsu just didn't know. It was all kinda odd to him. Before, Lucy was only Lucy, his best friend. Now, Lucy wasn't only Lucy; Lucy was this beautiful, golden, kind, unique, funny, cute, perfect, flawless person who he couldn't get enough of. And before, he could just fall asleep without a problem in the world. Now, he would stay up for hours just thinking about Lucy. What Lucy wore that day, or what Lucy had said that day, what Lucy smelt like, how Lucy laughed, how Lucy talked, how Lucy smiled. 

Everything revolved around Lucy all of a sudden. And it was so confusing. He was still Natsu. And she was still Lucy. Lucy was still his Luce. What was happening to him? What was making Natsu feel like he was just complete when he was with his Luce? Natsu blamed his headaches, heartaches, and confusion all on Lucy.