Chapter 7

Things were easy after that. They were still best friends, they always did their best friend things, they still had sleepovers, and they even joked around together. But, ever since that fateful day, they've also been doing non-best friend things. They've kissed more than once, and they've just been more than what they used to be. 

It was excellent, and they both enjoyed it. For a couple of moments, Lucy forgot that Natsu would one day leave her, she forgot that Natsu would never be her's, and she forgot that the love between them was just temporary. But then she remembers the timer. Then, Lucy wants to ignore him, forget about him, and only stop. How could they work out when ultimately, Natsu's timer will run out of time?

When Natsu's timer stops, they'll stop. Lucy knew that she wouldn't be able to be with him like before they were together. How could she joke around with him when being in the mere presence of him would kill her, knowing that he was never her's and never would be? But, those thoughts could never stay for too long because whenever Natsu's lips met hers, everything disappeared, and it's just them together, and together, and together. Natsu never told her how much time he had, only that he had a lot left.

When he asked her how much she had left, she would respond with the same thing as him, a lot. She really wants them to work out. She really does. But, the odds stacked against their relationship, a non-soulmate relationship, was too much. Everyone says that you're drawn to your soulmate. No matter how much you try fighting it, it's inevitable. Denying such inevitably would be stupid. It'd be disastrous to try and tempt fate, a powerful existence that can tear cities down within a second yet also build mountains within that same second.

Nobody could stand against fate. It feels like a stab to her heart knowing that one day Natsu will meet someone who completes him and she'll stay left behind–alone and incomplete–forever. It still doesn't stop them from being with each other. If anything, it pushes them more challenging to try and stay together. It even doesn't stop Natsu from whispering "I love you" into her ear when he thinks that she's asleep. And it definitely doesn't stop Lucy from snuggling closer to him and whispering it back. 

Sure, it'd hurt less if they didn't, but moments like those help relieve the pain.