Chapter 9

Graduation was just around the corner, and so was Lucy's anxiety. She was so, so nervous. She was worried about everything. College, soulmates, the whole shebang. Lucy decided that thinking about the impending end of their relationship was not fun, and she needed to be distracted or figure some stuff out. The obvious answer, to calm her nerves, was to call Natsu. At 3 in the morning. "What the heck, Lucy!" Natsu grumbled out after the third ring.

"Sorry," Lucy started sheepishly, "But can you come over?" This woke Natsu up. Lucy usually asked for him to come over. Even if it was late, she never asked, especially not in a soft voice."Yeah, yeah, okay." He said hurriedly but quietly. He really did not want to wake up his parents then explain why he needed to visit Lucy at this hour.

He was there in five minutes.

Lucy ran down her stairs to open the door and greet him. (Unlike Natsu, Lucy could yell and be as loud as she wanted because her father was abroad.)(Again.)

She brought him into her backyard, where they sat on her swing set. Just being with him on her swings calmed her. Ever since they were young, the two had spent so much time there. They always went there, for everything. When they were sad, mad, happy, or if they had wanted to talk, they sat on the swings. It was familiar.

They swung for a while in silence.

"So, why'd you call me over so late?" Natsu asked.

"What? Can't I ask for my boyfriend to come over and keep me company?" Natsu rolled his eyes at her and gave her a pointed look. "At 3 in the morning?"

"So?" Natsu continued when Lucy didn't respond. "Do you ever think that we should end this?" A breeze of cool air drifted through, moonlight highlighting the night. It was beautiful. The stars were out and not a cloud in sight. It could've been romantic if the two weren't having the current conversation. "What!" Natsu shouted. "Why- Why would you even ask that?"

"I don't want to end it! But, should we even kid ourselves? I mean, we both know that this will have to end one day because whether we like it or not, one of us will find our soulmate!"

"You know that I would choose you over my soulmate!" Natsu exclaimed. "But, we don't truly know that for sure! Things change, Natsu! What if you change your mind after meeting her! What if you take everything back!"

"I wouldn't!"

"But you don't know that!" They stared at each other, heaving after screaming at each other."Is this really what you want?" Natsu asked. His voice broke in the middle of the sentence. In another world, they wouldn't be arguing, and they would be laughing. "Mavis, no. How could I want that?" Lucy choked out."Then, let's stay together!"

"But, I don't want you to leave me. I'm too selfish." She had tears leaking down her face, the salty liquid leaving a wet trail on her rosy, pale cheeks. "You're not selfish! I want this too!"

"I don't want to hold you back!" She would be holding him back from everything, like a fantastic future with an amazing wife and an amazing wife who's not her.

"I guess you don't want to try either! Why are you giving up so easily?" Natsu asked quietly."Because... we don't have forever, Natsu. I don't want to keep doing this, knowing that one day this will end! It hurts so much." She doesn't raise her voice this time. "No matter how much time is left, it will run out. And so will we."

"But we have so much time left! Why can't we try?" Natsu cried out. He loved her so much, couldn't she see that? He would hang up the moon and stars for her every day if she asked."How much time is left? Please, give me an actual, honest answer. Not just 'a lot' I want a real answer, please. I'll even tell you how much time I have in return." She begged.

"What?" Natsu said, dumbfounded. "Please?" Lucy pleaded. She wanted to know, had to know, needed to know.

Natsu took a deep breath, "None."