Chapter Thirty

"Lady Elena!"

A bright voice pulled her out of her depressing thoughts long after the General and his party had left, and she turned towards the terrace to see Raymond leaning over the balustrade banister, grinning at her.

She smiled back. "Good morning, sir."

"Wasn't expecting you today," Ray said as Elena climbed up the steps, joining him on the terrace.

She looked down, Princess Debra's words ringing in her mind.

"It seems he doesn't want to meet you since he's leaving. Something more important came up. Like going on a mission with me."

Elena nibbled on her bottom lip, and Ray noticed her change in demeanour.

"Is anything the matter?" he asked.

She fiddled with her fingers. "Pardon me for asking, sir, but..." She looked up at Ray. "The General and her highness. Are they very close?"

Ray's eyes widened and his mind reeled with the various answers to the question. He didn't think Kieran told Elena about his past relationship with Debra, so he decided to tread lightly.

"Quite," Ray replied, nodding. "Been friends from childhood since our families are close. They are the same age as well, so it's easy for them to understand each other."

Elena muttered a weak, "Oh."

The General was four years older than her. Did that mean that as compared to Princess Debra, she came off as immature to him?

The thought made her frown. "So they fit," she said, lowly.

"I guess."

Elena looked up at Ray, who was watching the sky with a thoughtful expression, his fingers rubbing his clean-shaven jaw.

"Kieran and Debbie are like fire and fire. They are alike in many ways, though Debbie is a bit lacking in the 'kind' aspect," he whispered that last part. "Nevertheless, they have a lot in common. I'd say she's like a female version of him, only...temperamental. more fiery, if you know what I mean."

He laughed. "I think that's why they ended up-"

He bit his tongue, his brain nerves working to stop his runny mouth.

"Ended up what?" Elena asked.

Ray looked over at her and beamed. "Ended up such good friends!" he saved. "Kieran and Luke are the Gutsy Duo, but add in Debbie, and you get the Formidable Trio. I think it's pretty cool."

Elena gave him a smile, but it didn't quite reach her eyes.

Suddenly, an angry, feminine voice boomed from inside the manor house, "Raymond, you miscreant!"

Both of them jumped, Raymond higher than Elena.

"That sounds like-"

"Mother," Ray breathed, his face blanketed in sheer horror. "I am so dead!"

Elena's grievances were forgotten and she focused on the trembling lad before her.

"Why? What happened?" she quickly asked, touching his shoulder.

Ray's nails went to his teeth. "I..." he started, and looked at an anticipating Elena with dread reflecting in his brown eyes. "I ate the marzipan cakes."

Elena blinked once. Twice. "What?"

"I shall not survive this day, lady Elena!" Ray whined, whimpering. "For she shall strip me and tie me to the wheel of torture!"