Chapter Forty-two

“Now look what you did. You upset her!” Aira admonished the men, placing her hands on her hips.

“Shut up, you squabblesome fart squirrel!” Luke shot back. “She is…she is just jealous. A bit green in the eyes, is all.”

Aira was agape. “Fffffffart squirrel!” she echoed. “Did you just call me a skunk? Huh? You red-arsed bullfrog!”

Aaron groaned as the insult battle sparked off. He would have scolded Aira for her language, but he was more interested in Joshua’s behavior at the moment.

He looked at his brother, who was sitting next to him on the settee, an empty rum jar tucked protectively under his armpit. He could barely keep his eyes open; and mumbled gibberish every now and then.

“I see you’ve finally warmed up to Elena, judging by your words,” Aaron said.

Joshua’s green eyes met Aaron’s brown ones. For a moment, he didn’t say anything.

“Elena’s easily found a place in every one’s hearts,” he finally spoke. “And mine...” He sniffed. “…mine is no exception.”

Aaron nodded. “I understand.”

“No, you do not,” Joshua rebutted, leaning up to prevent himself from sliding off the settee. “It is wrong, Aaron. Wrong of me to…to have these feelings.”

Aaron barely heard the last words since Joshua’s eyes fluttered close, and in the next second, he was snoring lightly.

They were softly spoken, but he’d heard them. And he wasn’t all that surprised.

***

Kieran was in his study, going through some paperwork that had piled up over the last ten days; but something was amiss. Sometimes the words were blurry, and other times, they were magnified.

He rubbed his eyes.

Did he need to have his eyes checked? And end up wearing eye-glasses like Joshua?

Bloody abyss no.

“My eyes are fine,” he told himself and picked up the file.

The words were dancing.

Maybe he was just tired. It was a long trip, and he needed to have a good rest so he could see Elena early the next day. He would tell her about Debra, and maybe some other things he omitted to reveal about his past. He hoped she would accept him all the same.

He’d longed for her for far too long.

“Of course you’d be working while everyone else is having a liquor party.”

Why did that sound like Elena’s voice?

He looked up, and his eyes tried to focus on the blurry image before him. He made out a turquoise dress with sequins adorned on the skirt, the bodice fitting with off shoulder sleeves. It was definitely something she would wear.

He tried to focus on the face, and finally the fog cleared, and he saw dark wavy hair falling down her shoulders to the waist, decorated with silver flower ornaments. Deep blue eyes stared back at him, her pink lips quirked into a smile. The evening sun rays made the sequins and hair ornaments dazzle, effecting a glow upon her.

His heart leaped. “You’re here…”

***

Elena had just arrived at Hammedatha Manor, and was informed by one of the servants that Kieran was most likely in his private study.

She had not had the time to make crispels for him, but managed to grab some pork buns along the way.

Happily, she walked into the foyer and instead took the staircase north, so she would arrive quicker at the study.