Chapter Forty-one

Kieran brought his horse to a halt in Hammedatha Compound and looked down at the sleeping beauty, her head resting in his shoulder.

“Elena,” he called softly, giving her a nudge.

“Where are the trees?” she mumbled her reply, her eyes opening halfway before shutting again.

“Trees for what?” he asked.

Her head nuzzled his shoulder. “Bring them so we can make the bird coop,” she mumbled.

Kieran smiled. He had expected her to be in shock after the rescue, but she had drifted off into a deep sleep the moment he shared his horse with her, and here she was, dreaming about…hens?

She was one brave girl.

He nudged her again. “Elena, wake up.”

Her head jerked up, but her eyes were half-lidded as she peered at him. “Sir, it is your turn to saw now.” Her head lolled back as her eyes glazed over. “Bring me muh cooktoo….”

Kieran chuckled, his hand gently pressing her head against his chest.

Aaron walked up to the horse just in time to help.

Joshua dismounted and upon turning to his left, witnessed Aaron receive a half-asleep Elena in his arms, one hand round her back and the other under her knees.

“She’s surprisingly heavy,” Aaron noted, and his hair was yanked by Elena.

Joshua laughed with Kieran, who dismounted as well.

Elena pulled Aaron’s hair again and he winced, his neck bent in an uncomfortable angle. “Why, Sir Peacock, such soft feathers you have.”

Aaron gave Kieran a begging look. “Please take her for proper rest.”

“Of course, milord,” Kieran obliged, amused, and received his betrothed from Aaron.

His betrothed.

Why did it feel strange when Joshua said it in is head?

Sighing, he looked back at his horse just as a stable hand arrived to take it.

Except his eyes still found their way to Kieran and Elena. His brother Kieran, whom he treasured so much, was looking at Elena like she was his only treasure.

“I think love’s finally arrived, brother.”

It was Ray who whispered to him.

Joshua watched as Kieran started walking towards the house.

“And if it’s not having the heart to take an arrow for someone else, then I don’t know what it is.”

Joshua remained silent at Ray’s declaration.

The two of them had exited the Demir House just in time to witness how Elena had swapped positions with Kieran right before the couple narrowly escaped a hit, and Kieran fired an arrow at the attacker. They’d thought it coincidental until Luke said otherwise.

“Listen, Joshua,” Ray said, a pensive note to his voice. “I don’t think we should keep trying to keep them apart. I like seeing the two of them together and I would like for them to be happy together.”

“But Kieran-”

“Kieran will accept her love,” Ray cut in and sighed. “If she loves him, then I can only hope that he feels the same way about her.”

Joshua turned to his brother. “Ray-”

“I’m sorry, Josh.” Ray gave him a wry smile. “I don’t want to see sister-in-law hurt – especially not by our brother.”